The thing about being into art and design is that it always gives you something to talk to strangers about. Stuck next to a cousin’s ex’s babysitter at a wedding? Gerhard Richter to the rescue! Trapped in a malfunctioning lift with a broken intercom system and facing the possibility of hours, days, weeks, months sat there on the floor? You and your new best mates can rank every illustrator featured in the latest Kramers Ergot!
But what if you’re a bit shyer, and you want the world to know you’re mad about the arts without having to open your mouth? The skate shoe stalwart Vans have got you covered. Provided you’re into Vincent Van Gogh, that is.
3 August sees the release of an extensive collaboration with Amsterdam’s Van Gogh Museum. There’s sunflower-emblazoned slip-ons, floral bomber jackets, and all manner of skull-spattered t-shirts.
Adriaan Dönszelmann, Managing Director of the Van Gogh Museum describes himself as “delighted” with the collection, saying it “ties in with our mission to make the life and work of Vincent van Gogh accessible to as many people as possible in order to enrich and inspire them. “By uniting Van Gogh’s iconic artworks with iconic Vans styles, our partnership brings Vincent’s art “Off The Wall” and into the world to a new audience outside the museum.”
Reports that New Balance have hooked up with the owners of the Rubens’ estate for a series of cherubic running shoes are, sadly, unconfirmed.
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Lukasz Rusznica journeys into the spirit world with his publication Subterranean River
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice