The British Council has announced that it will partner with Scotland and Wales to present three exhibitions at the upcoming Venice Biennale.
In the British Pavilion, sculptural artist Phyllida Barlow will present a major solo exhibition of new work. For Scotland + Venice in a new space the Chiesa di Santa Caterina, Fondamenta Santa Caterina, in Cannaregio, Rachel Maclean will show a new film, commissioned by Alchemy Film & Arts with Talbot Rice Gallery as the project’s creative and academic partner. Cymru yn Fenis Wales in Venice will be represented with a presentation from Cardiff-born, former Turner Prize-nominee, artist James Richards, who will create a site responsive installation in collaboration with students from the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama.
La Biennale di Venezia is now in its 57th year. In past years, the British Council has showcased a long list of prominent UK artists including Henry Moore, Barbara Hepworth, Bridget Riley, Richard Long, Anish Kapoor, Mark Wallinger, Rachel Whiteread, Gilbert & George, Tracey Emin, Steve McQueen, Mike Nelson, Jeremy Deller and Sarah Lucas.
- Review of the Year 2018: Back to Back with Astrid Stavro and Jody Hudson-Powell
- Adam Higton and Atelier Bingo collaborate to illustratively visualise the 12 months of the year
- Data journalist Mona Chalabi reviews her 2018 in statistics
- Kim Gehrig's latest advert is an eclectic, inclusive ode to the vulva
- Emulsion is a new magazine offering a holistic view of culture
- What one word best sums up your year? Take part in our Review of the Year Instagram brief
- Blok rethinks the design of cannabis after its legalisation in Canada
- We ask Duncan Cowles to create the ultimate Christmas ad, using only Adobe Stock and some expert advice
- Christmas decorations cause OCD sufferers distress in New York
- Don’t Hug Me I’m Scared to debut at Sundance Film Festival
- Design studio Julia on a decade of turning complex ideas into graphic symbols
- Multi-faceted designers Studio Bergini hops between projects with a cool, clean elegance