This morning (26 March), it was officially announced that Virgil Abloh will succeed Kim Jones as Louis Vuitton’s artistic director of menswear. The announcement follows a host of rumours, which have been circulating for months, consolidated by last week’s announcement that Belgian designer Kris Van Assche would be leaving Dior Homme after 11 years, with Kim Jones taking up the helm.
Abloh is the founder of Haute streetwear brand, Off-White and a long-time collaborator of Kayne West. In a move that sees him shedding that image for one of the oldest and most powerful European houses in luxury fashion, Abloh will also become Louis Vuitton’s first African American artistic director.
“I feel elated,” he stated in a conversation with the New York Times, adding that he planned to relocate his family to Paris to take the job. “This opportunity to think through what the next chapter of design and luxury will mean at a brand that represents the pinnacle of luxury was always a goal in my wildest dreams. And to show a younger generation that there is no one way anyone in this kind of position has to look is a fantastically modern spirit in which to start.”
- Graphic designer Anne Büttner is drawn towards all-things bold, clashing and experimental
- Graphic designer Marie Ducrocq's future-facing aesthetics are supported by thorough research
- The poet laureate of Twitter Brian Bilston creates four new poems from Adobe Stock images
- Photographer Daniel Stier on how he transforms “cheap mass-produced things” into art
- Fragility, despair and boredom are the pillars to Madeleine Pfull’s paintings of elderly women
- Go on a quest for cheesy chips with Sarah Hingley’s choose your own adventure zine
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Spotify wants you to listen to more podcasts, so it's redesigned its app
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Illustrator Faye Moorhouse has made a trilogy of zines about her cat
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!