Wieden+Kennedy London has created Shopageddon, a nightmarish VR experience based on Black Friday. “We’ve taken the worst of the digital and physical worlds and merged them together, on your face,” explains the agency.
Designed for a mobile browser to be used with a VR headset, the Shopageddon site imagines what future online shopping might look like. “Your retinas are about to experience an onslaught of consumer goods,” the agency warns, and that’s no exaggeration. Boxes emblazoned with product logos and advertising are thrown at you incessantly for a 60-second period, recreating the frenzied stress of the Black Friday sales.
Then at the end of the sequence it tells you “Your eyes added these items to your shopping list,” and gives you a selection of the products you’ve supposedly looked at for the longest, so you can buy them.
Purposely intense and hectic, the satirical project is a prototype produced by the agency as a result of experimentation with VR technology.
“We’ve been experimenting with VR, making random things, and trying to figure out what it might all mean beyond entertainment,” says Iain Tate, ECD at Wieden+Kennedy London. “Last week we built this odd shopping experience as a rough proof of concept. And there’s only one moment appropriate to launch such an OTT shopping experience – Black Friday”.
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!