Some people say that your 50s are the best years of your life. Well, some people say a lot of things. With that in mind, here’s the next chapter in our end of year run-down. 51-60, ahoy!
60 — Wieden + Kennedy: Mintacular (August 15)
Let’s be honest, if we had seen one more sickeningly friendly advert for some sort of digital product that included lots of bespectacled designers this year, we would have packed up and moved to the Arctic Circle. Fortunately, light relief came in the form of this spoof-ad for chewing gum, making out as if it were the new must-have gadget for creative types. Brill.
59 — Julian Germain: Classroom Portraits (June 18)
We were all surprised that no one had done this before, so props to Jullian for making this rather terrifying series of classroom photography. Hands up if they remind you of the time you said something weird in maths and everyone stared. puts hand up
58 — Jens Ullrich: Collages (July 16)
If anything this year got us into the Olympic spirit it was these extraordinary collages by Jens Ullrich mixing the old Athenian Olympians with modern day athletes. Simple, beautiful, brilliant.
57 — Etienne Gros: Les Mousses (July 13)
Some unlikely brilliance here from Etienne Gros, the man who can transform common household foam into Renaissance beauties in minutes! if this doesn’t inspire you to go to the cupboard under the sink and start constructing some legitimate artwork, I don’t know what will.
56 — Tito Mouraz: Open Space Office (March 7)
And for those of you that thought working in an industrial rock quarry would be grim, Tito Mouraz came to smash your theories out of the park like golfballs off a precipice. Take that preconceptions!
55 — Chris Lohr: Breaking bad remix (August 31)
“YouTube! YouTube! YouTube!” chant the square-eyed youth of today, as they parade down your streets, waving flags with viral-video maker Chris Lohr’s face on them and brandishing torches (Can’t be bothered to look? Don’t worry, they’ll upload it later). But this is why they celebrate him…
54 — Superbowl 2012 Adverts (February 6)
More modern-day delights here as we review the much-anticipated superbowl ads! Expect a textbook man vs. cheetah Hyundai advert, a suitably sultry Toyota advert, and a truly brilliant token flashmob attempt from Budweiser.
53 — The Making of the Leica M9-P (July 2)
Uuurgghhhh yeah, nothing like some camera-porn to get you going before Christmas, especially if you have asked for a Leica knowing full well that no one you know will be able to afford one for you. Best just to stick to this spine-tingler of a making-of video.
52 — The Dark Knight Rises: Behind the Scenes (July 8)
Nothing like a little behind-the-scenes trailer to get you excited for one of the biggest films of the century! No surprises that this did well on the site — anecdotal insights, here we come!
51 — Siggi Eggertson: Landsbankinn (September 5)
“Wait…this is for a bank?!” exclaim witnesses of Siggi’s creation for Icelandic moneykeepers Landsbankinn. A simple yet stark reminder that Siggi is an utter genius, and also that Iceland is much cooler than the UK.
- Hello and welcome to the new look It’s Nice That
- Sweet, surreal still lifes by Paris-based Clotilde Viannay
- We ask some established creatives what they wish they'd learned at art school
- Embracing the uncanny with photographer Nadia Lee Cohen (NSFW)
- Music's slick, dark designs for British Fashion Council annual review
- Wonder Room shows how to adapt posters designed for print for online
- Yolanda Dominguez asks kids to describe what they see in fashion campaigns
- Street photography shot on an iPhone during fake phonecalls by Jay Giampietro
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic logos unveiled
- Should creatives ever accept unpaid work? We ask some seasoned experts
- Illustrated campaign for Volkswagen uses parents lying to children as a metaphor
- We get a sneak peek of TASCHEN's new book documenting 50 years of Pirelli