What a week, London decided we should all get a bit festive and turned on some lights. The knee jerk reaction was to lift the postal strike and allow people to start sending Christmas cards. All this resulted in the return of Things, our weekly round-up of the things that have made their way into the studio.
Unmasks Corruption A Collaboration between Ctrl.Alt.Shift and Margaret London, Designed by Artbook.
A selection of the world’s most compelling graphic novelists and comic artists have collaborated with Ctrl.Alt.Shift to create a limited edition comic book. Featuring original work from leading comic artists, satirists and creative figures from around the world including Dave McKean, Peter Kuper, Lee O’Connor, Pat Mills, V V Brown, Dan Goldman, Aleksandar Zograf, Bryan Talbot, Asia Alfasi, Dylan Horrocksand Marcus Bleasdale. Aiming to engage and challenge the issues of social injustice in a bid to politicise a new generation of activists through the medium of popular comic culture. The results are a more interesting, engaging and well put together publication.
Leandro Castelao Prints
The man from Argentina is producing some great work at the moment developing his own style of abstract illustration. Leandro was over in London last week and popped into the studio to show us a new series of screen prints he plans to make available very soon. These are the two he left us with, but the entire animal series is stunning and well worth checking out when he releases them.
Any Distance To You Designed by Joe Hinder.
Self promotion comes in all shapes and sizes and more often than not a gimmick can out weigh the work it’s trying to get you to look at. This week the piece that caught the eye was from Bath Spa graduate Joe Hinder, a simple A5 bound book that documents his work and includes a full profile/cv in the back. Better than an emailed pdf that’s easy to forget, if anyone’s looking for a junior designer, give Joe a shout.
100 Facts About Pandas Published by Square Peg.
If you already know 100 facts on Pandas don’t dismiss this book straight away, as this is a more light hearted look at the true history of the panda (everything David Attenborough was too scared to admit). Compiled by David O’Doherty (if.comedy Award for best comedy show at the 2008 Edinburgh Festival), Claudia O’Dohery (comedy/theatre group Pig Island) and Mke Ahern (D.A.D.D.Y.) the book contains facts like panda fur, when woven into a fabric, is bulletproof and all panda cubs or ‘cubinetts’ as they are called are born female and will only turn male if given a fright in their first 48 hours. Short of a small something for someone who likes Pandas, or comedy, or both then this is the perfect kind of book to be released just in time for Christmas.
“Quotation” World Creative Journal no.5 Published by BNN.
If I could speak Japanese I could tell you a lot more about this magazine, unfortunately I can not. What I can say is that we’re in it! And it looks great. We were interviewed as part of a feature called “Pay attention to those products created by designers and artists”, I can’t remember what we said. Some of the content is translated and if you see a copy it’s worth a flick, there’s also an interview with Adrian Shaughnessy.
- Malika Favre talks about studying engineering, her first job and tight deadlines from The New Yorker
- Say what you see, it’s Best of the Web!
- The art of plane watching captured by Mindaugas Kavaliauskas
- Friday Mixtape: escape from the world with Xenoula's ethereal mix
- Towers of Thanks: Res photographs his mother's life working for Donald Trump
- A world of pain: Sixteen Journal's latest issue
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner