We’re pretty keen on the work of Aussie designers A Friend of Mine; their holistic approach to design has been yielding consistently great results for almost three years now and spans a range of disciplines, taking in retail design, branding, web design and even the occasional spot of weaving. It’s an admirable quality in a studio to approach each project with fresh eyes and an open approach to new media.
That said we’re pretty enamoured with their recent work for the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority’s VCE Season of Excellence which takes quite a traditional, but very bold, approach to the branding, print collateral and exhibition design of the event. The identity takes inspiration from folded and pleated paper, abstracting the geometric forms from the folds and providing a multi-faceted pattern that communicates the variety of work on display. The event signage is manifested as a three-dimensional rendering of the pleated paper that meanders over the walls of the exhibition space, marking each section of the show with its own signature colour.
The rest of A Friend of Mine’s portfolio is also well worth at least a few minutes out of your day. Go forth and enjoy!
- All we want for Christmas is... Best of the Web!
- A trip to The Greenbrier – a preserved 112,544 sq foot government nuclear bunker
- Dougal Wilson goes behind the scenes of the mischievous Channel 4 idents
- An international cast of creatives chooses the biggest moments of 2017
- Bake Off, legalising weed and Fanta's redesign: highlights from March 2017
- Vogue's new editor and a typeface for pride: a look back at April 2017
- Pantone Colour of the Year 2018 has been announced
- Pentagram partner Natasha Jen shares her most inspirational books
- Why dyslexia makes you a great designer
- Plain packaging and health warnings on food and drink could cost companies hundreds of billions
- Anxy Magazine: The Workaholism Issue explores the impact of working hard versus working compulsively
- Graphic designer John Morgan launches type foundry and art platform, Abyme