When a birthday card-shaped unassuming pale pink envelope popped through our front door earlier on this week I figured my grandma had sent me a sweet letter. I didn’t anticipate the new issue of The Anonymous Sex Journal, subtitled The Solo Issue or Sex For One – but then unexpected pleasure is what this A6 laminated zine is all about.
“Sex with one is just as important as sex with some,” the inside cover (penned by editor Alex Tieghi-Walker) reads. “Having had 12 months to collect stories has resulted in a rich and racy collection of anecdotes… As always, none of these stories have been edited; they are left true to form in the voice in which they were penned.” The resulting collection compiles both sordid and sweet tales of ménage à mois from anonymous submissions – see number eight, “My first sensation was from my electric toothbrush,” for an example of the latter. This issue is illustrated by the brilliant Laura Callaghan, and the stories are among the very best I’ve read in the zine – submissions are now open for the next issue, The Hotel Issue of Dirty Weekenders, which promises to be even more of a romp.
- Alys Tomlinson's pilgrimage photos probe the places where private meets public
- Meet illustrator Hollie Fuller's characters, with their piggy eyes and protruding ears
- Ellen Evans' latest film zooms into the tiny world of miniaturism
- Kent Andreasen on how he embraces the transience of light in his photographs
- Illustrator Baptiste Virot describes his work as an “iron punch in a velvet glove”
- Slovenian design studio Ljudje on how it turned the information crisis into a visual identity
- Want a dream job? Studio Ghibli is hiring
- Creativity and control: Stanley Kubrick's obsessiveness and the meticulous films it produced
- We take a look back at the best stories of the year to date
- “Even bad pizza is kind of good”: Five life lessons from David Droga
- Pornhub decides to try out beesexuality with new awareness campaign
- Studio Nuno Fontes on its clean and ordered work for the cultural sector