You can more or less guarantee that everything associated with luxurious food magazine The Gourmand will have an aesthetic that’s equally sophisticated, but these shots for Black Isle Bakery by photographer Lena Emery take the biscuit (yes, pun intended). The bakery, run by Ruth Barry, has taken up residence at KK Outlet for the duration of The Gourmand’s September exhibition to provide the finest tea and cake your discerning palate has ever enjoyed, and to celebrate they’ve launched a new website designed by OK-RM, who also art directed the shoot. These Van Eyck-style renderings of earthy chestnut mushrooms and fresh salmon rolls have got us salivating unreservedly, the arrangements of food on carefully considered backdrops bringing a physicality to something as intangible as flavour.
The Black Isle Bakery will be serving daily at KK Outlet until September 28.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled