We have the utmost respect for the seemingly limitless creative brains of the brilliant Bruno Drummond and Gemma Tickle, photographer and set designer respectively, with their bonkers images and unmistakable visual stylings. So when it came to commissioning a feature for the Spring issue of Printed Pages Magazine we were more than happy to hand the task over to them and give them full rein.
They set the bar pretty high for themselves too, aiming to create a “typology of movement,” engineering a series of flexible forms that strangely resemble slides and then manipulating them in every way imaginable to create the illusion of different kinds of movement. The resulting series, Repeat, is much a testament to the sheer perfectionism the pair share as it is to the reach of their imaginations.
The new issue explains: “They’ve explored how different dynamic forms can be expressed visually, creating images that encompass extreme velocity, a lazy slump or an eager fluid curl. Bouncing rubber balls, card trickery and formations of soldiers marching have informed a set of real-world phenomena, translated into their abstract creations.”
Printed Pages Spring 2014 is out now and available from the Company of Parrots store.
- From documentaries to exhibition design via portraiture and painting, relive June’s Nicer Tuesdays
- Useless is a website mapping out the UK’s zero-waste network
- Material Literacy: Why we need to rethink language to survive the climate crisis
- Welcome to Response and Responsibility, a look at creativity and climate change
- Maurizio Di Iorio tricks the eye with his illusory photography
- With “personality and warmth”, Laura McCluskey turns her lens to those around her
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Spotify wants you to listen to more podcasts, so it's redesigned its app
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Illustrator Faye Moorhouse has made a trilogy of zines about her cat
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!