The Bavarian State Opera presented long-time collaborators Bureau Mirko Borsche with the theme “What Follows” for its 2106-17 season. Each year the studio creates a new campaign for the Opera, developing a concept given to them by the institution. “What Follows suggests just as much ending as new beginning. The question as to the consequences of our own actions in an ever more complex world leaves us all too often confused and provides the subject matter for our premieres,” says Nikolaus Bachler, general manager of the opera.
The campaign is delivered across a series of posters and flags. “We decided to find a very pure and straight typographic solution referring to cinema intros – almost like signs, reduced to the max,” explains Sophie Schultz,a designer at Bureau Mirko Borsche who led the project. “The posters are all printed in bright spot colours. The flags on the opera building show the matching claims ‘2016–2017’, ‘Coming soon’ and ‘What follows’. A single square flag on top of the building lets you read yes or no – depending on from which side you look at them. It underlines the state of not knowing what is going to happen next but being able to influence one’s situation with a single decision.”
- A real bobby-dazzler, it’s Best of the Web!
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum