Spending his summer in Hydra, a small secluded island in Greece, it was photographer Christian Werner’s journey through Athens to get there that stuck with him. “I was sitting in a car from the airport to the main harbour while the city was passing by, it was an intense experience so I decided to come back to Athens and explore,” the Berlin-based photographer explains. “I love arriving without a schedule, plan or story in my head. Capturing fast and raw whatever there is to explore. Of course the outcome is a very subjective and personal to me.”
“I never follow a specific theme but attempt to establish an interaction with characteristics and symbols of the place I’m photographing,” Christian says. You can see this throughout his images, with allusions to the crisis and turmoil the city has recently faced. The Athens Christian presents us with feels deserted, there’s no commotion or excitement and a tired greyness tinges each image. There are people captured but never crowds, the most poignant being a group of builders sat taking a break as though waiting for change.
“You can see a lot of businesses have shut down, shops are closed and construction sites have been abandoned. The places that are still running are empty because so many people have left,” Christian explains. While the series is bleak at times, Christian manages to capture some lovely details like a collection of fans on the roadside and a group of girls in matching denim hot pants and white tops.
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice