Of all the Designs of the Year categories, it is graphics that has a special place closest to our collective heart. Quietly, sophisticatedly standing out are the AA Files by John Morgan Studio – a continued series of content-heavy yet cleanly composed journals of record for the Architectural Association School of Architecture. Much like the discourse that fills their pages, these editions are enormously considered – something that reflects throughout the rest of this studio’s portfolio, so why have we not posted them before?!
Also nominated are Why Not Associates with Gordon Young and their very excellent Comedy Carpet (which incidentally just won the Grand Prix at the Tokyo Type Director’s Club) and the indispensable and distractingly compulsive Photo-Lettering site. Also, and it was one of our favourite books we reviewed last year, Four Corner’s Beauty is in the Street has been deservedly selected.
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice