Type designer Daniel Reed has so far used his own foundry for all sorts of typographic experiments, but this latest venture is purposely a bit nuts. Dr Pecker is created entirely from contorted penises, each letter, number and symbol unashamedly featuring the details you would expect from such a creation (finessed with hair), and designed to work in all weights and sizes.
The date of its release on 24 July 2019 was no cock-up either, being the day Britain’s very own Johnson wangled his way to Number 10.
While the A-Z looks like a memorable episode of Naked Attraction, the designer has also explored how the letters look in various packages, spelling out fun phrases such as “Works Large and Small”, “Moby Dick” and “Tiny Tim”, and even a prototype business card for a very cheeky wood merchant.
To promote the new typeface, Daniel has made a microsite to call out the world’s todgers, titled Pecker of the Day, where you can “cast your vote on today’s biggest cock, with a live feed featuring the top five peckers of the day,” Daniel explains. So far Boris, Donald Trump and Katie Hopkins have been popular contenders.
There’s also merch “for all your pecker desires” including T-shirts, tote bags, mugs and condoms. Profits from the typeface and merchandise sales are going to charities for prostate and testicular cancer, so “all this silliness is for a good cause,” Daniel says.
- Ioanna Sakellaraki explores Greece’s last professional mourners and their rituals around death
- Catalog Press is questioning what a book can be (and maybe it's made of cheese)
- Floriane Rousselot's digital platform Typelab supports and champions the work of young designers
- Photographer Theo Cottle tries to “keep an element of truth” in everything he shoots
- “Stay simple and playful”: Arnaud Aubry talks to us about making his fun and charming work
- Théophile Bartz on his fantastically hypnotic illustrations
- Led By Donkeys is crowdfunding £50,000 for “honest” No Deal Brexit ad campaign
- Taschen’s recent release celebrates “the greatest cat photographer of the 20th Century”
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!
- Suzy Chan’s portfolio boasts original graphic design, animation, typography and so much more
- Stefanie Tam’s graphic design grounds conceptual thinking in compelling visuals
- The Advertising Standards Authority has banned its first ads for “harmful” gender stereotyping