I’m never one to turn down a delicious baked treat, but I think it’s fair to say that I’m way more likely to want it if it’s wrapped in packaging so well designed that I don’t really know which parts not to eat. London-based design studio Dot Dash have worked on identities for several of London’s finest eating establishments, trendy pub The Cat & Mutton and the Hawksmoor Group alike, so I imagine they were a fairly easy call for the bakery to make when it came to working out who might be right to design the identity and packaging.
Laura from the studio explains their process: “We created the name and design simultaneously with the idea of juxtaposing the connotations of the name with a clean, sophisticated design. This was done by playfully stretching the letters in the logos, with a modern colour scheme and a pattern and texture evoking the floured surfaces seen in bakeries. The overall objective was to produce an identity that was luxurious, playful and modern.”
The identity they finally came up with manages exactly that; coupling the marbled pattern of a floury surface and the chubby lettering in the logo with a simple, pared back design to create a clean but playful aesthetic. And you can’t say no to clean or playful when they’re wrapped around a hunk of cake now, can you?
- Graphic designer Marie Ducrocq's future-facing aesthetics are supported by thorough research
- The poet laureate of Twitter Brian Bilston creates four new poems from Adobe Stock images
- Photographer Daniel Stier on how he transforms “cheap mass-produced things” into art
- Fragility, despair and boredom are the pillars to Madeleine Pfull’s paintings of elderly women
- Go on a quest for cheesy chips with Sarah Hingley’s choose your own adventure zine
- Western Fronts is a nature documentary that collapses into itself
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Spotify wants you to listen to more podcasts, so it's redesigned its app
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Illustrator Faye Moorhouse has made a trilogy of zines about her cat
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!