Y’know that dream of leaving London, forming a commune and living off the land? Well, creative studio Featuring Featuring has got it together and is doing just that. Designers on Holiday is an application-based escape, an opportunity to join a bunch of international designers working together to build a campsite that, once complete, will be run as a co-operative.
Last summer saw the inaugural trip, and the construction of a waxed cotton tent, dining area, outdoor cinema and a wood-burning sauna. The site is on the Swedish island of Gotland, set amongst forest, lakes and alien rock formations. The tent was designed in collaboration by Avantika Agarwal and Featuring Featuring, and built with a Swedish timber frame, put together by the designers on the trip. This year they plan to keep working towards the dream of creating the Butlins of the design world, with the construction of huts, tents, kitchens and showers. The campsite is run on solar power and generators, and as well as the designers involved, welcomes the help of holidaymakers and local people in a bid to engage as wide a community as possible.
Designers on Holiday exemplifies the focus of Featuring Featuring, a London-based creative studio run by Tom Gottelier and Bobby Peterson. Applications for Designers on Holiday 2015 are opening soon, maybe see you there!
- Superimpose Studio on the impact of Brexit on the creative industries
- Photographer Namsa Leuba makes the invisible stories of Voodoo visible
- A whizz through the portfolio of Italian illustrator Marco Oggian
- Alex Vasilyev's compelling photographs of locals living in Russia's coldest region
- Friday Mixtape: Rae Morris curates a winter-focused mix
- Good Sport Magazine: sport-focussed content, through the lens of much broader reaching interests
- Lacoste swaps famous crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- Director of Taylor Swift's Delicate video accused of copying Spike Jonze’s Kenzo advert
- These Swedish kids designed a typeface to celebrate their neighbourhood
- A new Vitra Museum exhibition shows the hedonistic history of nightclub design
- A chat with the anonymous archivist behind vintage smut celebration Hardcore Decor
- A peek inside the bulging, bold portfolio of multidisciplinary studio Spassky Fisher