Y’know that dream of leaving London, forming a commune and living off the land? Well, creative studio Featuring Featuring has got it together and is doing just that. Designers on Holiday is an application-based escape, an opportunity to join a bunch of international designers working together to build a campsite that, once complete, will be run as a co-operative.
Last summer saw the inaugural trip, and the construction of a waxed cotton tent, dining area, outdoor cinema and a wood-burning sauna. The site is on the Swedish island of Gotland, set amongst forest, lakes and alien rock formations. The tent was designed in collaboration by Avantika Agarwal and Featuring Featuring, and built with a Swedish timber frame, put together by the designers on the trip. This year they plan to keep working towards the dream of creating the Butlins of the design world, with the construction of huts, tents, kitchens and showers. The campsite is run on solar power and generators, and as well as the designers involved, welcomes the help of holidaymakers and local people in a bid to engage as wide a community as possible.
Designers on Holiday exemplifies the focus of Featuring Featuring, a London-based creative studio run by Tom Gottelier and Bobby Peterson. Applications for Designers on Holiday 2015 are opening soon, maybe see you there!
- A real bobby-dazzler, it’s Best of the Web!
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum