This week’s Friday Mixtape is by Nashville band, Bully, who released their second record, Losing on Subpop last week.
Alicia (who performs a myriad of roles in the band from lead singer to producer and recording engineer), Reece and Clay have curated a playlist of tunes to cheer you up, or even make you feel empowered after a long week. They’ve also suggested you should imagine yourself listening to it in the setting of a nostalgic, but very memorable, TV show.
Over to Bully to reveal all…
Why have you picked these songs?
The following songs have been picked for all different reasons. I would say they either make us feel nostalgic, upbeat, happy when we are bummed out, or are just easy to listen to.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
Imagine yourself at the venue on the pier in the TV show The O.C.
Can you tell us a bit more about your new record?
Our new record Losing was recorded at Electrical Audio in Chicago as well as the first one. We were on the road touring Feels Like for about a year and a half and then started on the second. Over the past year and a half it was written, recorded and mixed, now we are anticipating its release on 20 October.
What posters did you have on your bedroom walls when you were younger?
Alicia: 101 Dalmations. Reece: original Pokemon. Clay: Curly from Three Stooges
What records have you been listening to while recording?
Mostly podcasts: Throwing Shade, Two Dope Queens, History Revisionist, S Town, My Dad Wrote a Porno.
If a film about Bully was to be made, what song would play on the trailer?
Probably Cha Cha by D.R.A.M that is definitely one of the most listened to songs in the van, thanks to our tour manager, Peyton Dabney Copes.
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice