Formed in Walla Walla, Washington, Chastity Belt are a powerful female force. When Julia Shapiro, Lydia Lund, Annie Truscott and Gretchen Grimm play together it is just pure fun with no holding back, laughing, smiling and playing upon humorous takes on feminine stereotypes that fill their lyrics.
Chastity Belt released their third album this month (June 2017), I Used To Spend So Much Time Alone. To celebrate, drummer Gretchen has created a mixtape of the songs they’re listening to on tour for you to drive around to this weekend! Over to Gretchen…
What records were you listening to when recording your new album?
We weren’t really listening to too many records while we were recording. After recording all day it’s nice to have a break from music/noise. I remember Julia was watching Stranger Things and got me hooked on that show.
Are there certain songs you listen to on tour?
We all love Elliott Smith and listen to him quite a bit… and Lucinda Williams <3. We have an Avril Lavigne CD in our van that we blasted a bunch on our last tour. Every tour we tend to get into something. One tour we listened to Sia a ton.
If a feature film was made about Chastity Belt, what song would be on the trailer and why?
If there was a movie made about us the song Order by When Saints Go Machine would be in the trailer. Our friend Kate discovered that song while she was in Europe with us and it’s been a staple for us ever since!
- A real bobby-dazzler, it’s Best of the Web!
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum