Formed in Walla Walla, Washington, Chastity Belt are a powerful female force. When Julia Shapiro, Lydia Lund, Annie Truscott and Gretchen Grimm play together it is just pure fun with no holding back, laughing, smiling and playing upon humorous takes on feminine stereotypes that fill their lyrics.
Chastity Belt released their third album this month (June 2017), I Used To Spend So Much Time Alone. To celebrate, drummer Gretchen has created a mixtape of the songs they’re listening to on tour for you to drive around to this weekend! Over to Gretchen…
What records were you listening to when recording your new album?
We weren’t really listening to too many records while we were recording. After recording all day it’s nice to have a break from music/noise. I remember Julia was watching Stranger Things and got me hooked on that show.
Are there certain songs you listen to on tour?
We all love Elliott Smith and listen to him quite a bit… and Lucinda Williams <3. We have an Avril Lavigne CD in our van that we blasted a bunch on our last tour. Every tour we tend to get into something. One tour we listened to Sia a ton.
If a feature film was made about Chastity Belt, what song would be on the trailer and why?
If there was a movie made about us the song Order by When Saints Go Machine would be in the trailer. Our friend Kate discovered that song while she was in Europe with us and it’s been a staple for us ever since!
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Meji Alabi on discovering his roots through film and music
- Stoic black cats and burning worlds: Quentin Dufour on his chaotic illustrations
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories