Formed in Walla Walla, Washington, Chastity Belt are a powerful female force. When Julia Shapiro, Lydia Lund, Annie Truscott and Gretchen Grimm play together it is just pure fun with no holding back, laughing, smiling and playing upon humorous takes on feminine stereotypes that fill their lyrics.
Chastity Belt released their third album this month (June 2017), I Used To Spend So Much Time Alone. To celebrate, drummer Gretchen has created a mixtape of the songs they’re listening to on tour for you to drive around to this weekend! Over to Gretchen…
What records were you listening to when recording your new album?
We weren’t really listening to too many records while we were recording. After recording all day it’s nice to have a break from music/noise. I remember Julia was watching Stranger Things and got me hooked on that show.
Are there certain songs you listen to on tour?
We all love Elliott Smith and listen to him quite a bit… and Lucinda Williams <3. We have an Avril Lavigne CD in our van that we blasted a bunch on our last tour. Every tour we tend to get into something. One tour we listened to Sia a ton.
If a feature film was made about Chastity Belt, what song would be on the trailer and why?
If there was a movie made about us the song Order by When Saints Go Machine would be in the trailer. Our friend Kate discovered that song while she was in Europe with us and it’s been a staple for us ever since!
- Photographer Eli Durst's series Pinnacle Realty challenges stereotypes of suburban America
- Grace Miceli’s bold and playful illustrations re-interpret brands in humorous ways
- Tsto returns to design Flow Festival's identity, pushing and playing with its typography
- Rosie Yasukochi's vibrant comic reflects on post-generational trauma
- Patrick Kyle's helpful advice on how to start out at illustration fairs
- "Don't drink and dance in front of your peers": ten creatives on their biggest mistakes
- Crayola launches a makeup range based on its ubiquitous crayons
- Portfolio tips from top studios: what to leave in (and out) and how to get noticed
- The Graduates 2018: Should I get a job or go freelance?
- All internships are not created equal: how to spot the best opportunities and have the courage to reject the duds
- Erik Spiekermann brings five unfinished fonts from Bauhaus design masters to life with Adobe
- Why counter-culture matters: Rough Trade launches publishing venture designed by Craig Oldham