Obaro Ejimiwe, otherwise known as Ghostpoet, releases his fourth record Dark Days + Canapés today (18 August), and to mark its release he has curated this week’s Friday Mixtape.
Percussion has always been a key counterpart to Obaro’s releases, two of which have previously been nominated for the Mercury Prize. As a result his mix for us is titled The Drum Worship Mix and takes us through some of his favourite drum-based songs.
Why have you picked these songs?
I wanted to compile a mix that formed a brief exploration and celebration of the role drums and percussion play in music. These are some of the tracks that remind me of the good times, the contemplative times, and the sometimes low moments of my life.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
Whenever and however. Dip in, fully engage, the choice is yours.
Can you tell us a little more about your new album?
It’s a reflection of the times we’re living in. Warts and all. We’re living in a strange times and naturally, I always want to write in the moment.
What posters did you have on your bedroom walls when you were younger?
I never had any posters on my wall when I was younger, just rather dated wallpaper. Emoji sad face.
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Meji Alabi on discovering his roots through film and music
- Stoic black cats and burning worlds: Quentin Dufour on his chaotic illustrations
- Jiří Makovec’s photographs meander between the personal and the universal
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories