Today (2 June 2017), H. Hawkline releases his brilliantly multi-layered album, I Romanticize, via Heavenly Recordings. To celebrate, Huw has created this week’s edition of the Friday Mixtape, titled You’re Not Alone In The Dark. The mixtape curates a selection of the musician’s favourite songs into a sweet mix of melodies that inspire his own tracks.
A man of multiple talents, Huw is a fantastic illustrator and designer, almost annoyingly so when he creates consistently great albums too. Huw created a special cover of this week’s mixtape showcasing his illustration skill, which you can see more of here.
Over to the man himself and happy release day Huw!
Why have you picked these songs – what do they remind you of or make you feel?
The songs picked themselves, I whistled and they appeared, they each serve a purpose. Thinking about it, they’re all songs I wished I’d written. I’m so obsessed with Single Pigeon by Paul McCartney, there are moments when I think maybe I did write it (I didn’t).
Bron Area’s Love Stories I was sent by a friend recently, I had it on repeat for a few days, I think I cried once or twice. Same goes for Alex Dingley but for different reasons, this song digs away at me in a way I haven’t known a song do before, he is a master of words and the king of coastal paths. His new record Beat The Babble I think is one of the finest and purest records I have heard in all my time listening to “modern” music, it floats through this ocean of interference like a mirrored glacier. The mixtape title is a stolen song title from his record.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
When and where, work it out by walking.
What song or album did you listen to as a teenager?
All of the Beatles by The Beatles
What song or album do you consistently play?
They come in waves but Paul is usually found lying sleeveless at the speakers.
If a feature film about your life was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
She by Gram Parsons.
- Lukasz Rusznica journeys into the spirit world with his publication Subterranean River
- Photographer Josh Adam Jones challenges western preconceptions of the Middle East in XO
- Studio Above&Below uses code and emerging tech to improve our planet's wellbeing
- Studio Frith designs Kitty Travers' La Grotta Ices into "a book you want to lick"
- Vicki King explains how she uses photography to elevate the mundane
- Ailsa Johnson’s illustrations draw on the everyday magic of Japanese culture
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice