This week’s Friday Mixtape is curated by Jake Chapman. Known mainly as one half of revered and purposefully shocking YBA sibling duo Jake and Dinos Chapman, today the artist lets us in on his musical tastes and introduces us to his band, Funhole.
Funhole will also support Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes at Brixton Academy, London, this evening (8 December) who the musician has previously collaborated with, directing the video for Frank’s Wild Flowers single.
Why have you picked these songs?
They remind of me of a baboon’s fleshy genital eruption and a peacock’s opulent fan winking as we goose-step over a mound of freshly mown road-kills. They make me feel all tingly.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
I think they’re pretty user friendly, and could easily brighten up any occasion.
What do you enjoy most about performing live?
Nerves. Noise. Night bus.
Does your musical work combine with your artistic practice?
Yes it does — lots of screaming, weeping and laughter — feedback and superglue burns.
If a film was to be made about Funhole, what song would play on the trailer?
Annihilation by Rudimentary Peni, but rendered on panpipes.
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Meji Alabi on discovering his roots through film and music
- Stoic black cats and burning worlds: Quentin Dufour on his chaotic illustrations
- Jiří Makovec’s photographs meander between the personal and the universal
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories