When LA-based photographer Molly Matalon is commissioned to take a photograph of a band, the final images are guaranteed to catch your eye. Firstly, you’ll recognise the shots as distinctively Molly’s thanks to her particular eye for light-filled compositions. Then you’ll slowly start to decipher who the musician is, even if you’ve listened to them hundreds of times. Molly’s got a way with photographing people, you see. She picks up on personalities and extenuates them, whether it’s in the way Lana Del Ray is posed sitting on a staircase or the way Starcrawler’s Arrow de Wilde is holding a chicken, we even saw it in Molly’s ability to work with Devo’s Mark Mothersbaugh.
And so this week we asked Molly to take us through some of the tracks she listens to, on set at home or wandering around. As Molly’s also about to move back to New York City this winter after a short stint earlier this year, her mix is prep for shifting from West to East coast American climes.
It’s Nice That: Why have you picked these songs?
Molly Matalon: I was recently living in NYC for September and October, which I think are some of the best months here. A friend sent me that Abner Jay song and I remembered how good it is and wanted to make a mix that was in the same mood as it. It just snowballed into a fall in NYC playlist.
INT: When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
MM: If you’re walking around a city and the weather is crisp but sunny, light to heavy jacket weather.
INT: Are there certain albums you listen to during the different parts of your creative process?
MM: Low-fi hip-hop beats to study to while working at my desk, Ctrl by Sza and Edge of by True Blue while I’m shooting and Dedicated to Babies Who Came Feet First by Cold World, while I’m driving.
INT: What records did you listen to when you were a teenager?
MM: Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park, Deja Entendu by Brand New, Minor Threat’s Out Of Step and Through Being Cool by Saves The Day.
INT: If a feature film about your life was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
MM: Everlong by Foo Fighters
- Take part in our 2019 audience survey and you could win a £200 gift voucher and more
- Antti Kalevi intricately and abstractly draws his favourite places around the world
- Provoke magazine presents rare and haunting photographs of 1960s Japan
- John Edmonds explores identity and desire within black communities in his first monograph
- Here's how It's Nice That cheers ourselves up on Blue Monday
- Designers, illustrators and (of course) gamers come together for An Oral History Of Final Fantasy VII
- An egg beats Kylie Jenner to become the most liked Instagram photo... ever
- Mastercard reveals new nameless logo courtesy of Michael Bierut
- Sam Youkilis uses scale, form and colour to challenge the tropes of travel photography
- Betina Du Toit's naturally-beautiful images are “stripped back from the non-essential”
- Giacomo Gambineri on shifting his creative career from graphic designer to illustrator
- Hiroki Nishiyama draws on traditional graphic design techniques in his illustration practice