Atlanta’s finest trio, Omni, release their second album Multi-task today and in honour of its brilliance, lead singer Frankie Broyles has created this week’s Friday Mixtape.
Anyone who has been lucky enough to see Omni over the summer months knows their hypnotic fast-paced finger plucking guitar sound well from the songs off of their debut album, Deluxe from 2016. Just one year later, Multi-task, continues Omni post-punk sound and we’d argue is even better.
If you were a fan of last week’s mixtape by Trouble In Mind you’ll be pleased to hear that Multi-task is released via the Chicago-based label too.
Over to Frankie!
Why have you picked these songs for this playlist?
This playlist is just made up of stuff I’m currently listening to. Things that make me feel something.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
Anytime really. Maybe in a quiet, tranquil environment… with a sleeping dog. I guess I’m usually alone when listening to these songs. Either driving, staying up designing or working on some kind of project. Drinking tea.
Can you tell us a bit more about your new record?
Our new record is called Multi-task. There are 11 tracks. We recorded it with our good friend Nathaniel Higgins at his house in Atlanta and at my family’s farm house in Vienna, Georgia, during short breaks from touring. Shimby Mcreery helped out a lot with mixing. There were times I didn’t think we’d finish it in time due to touring commitments and scheduling issues but… we did… and for that I am grateful.
What posters did you have on your bedroom walls when you were younger?
My dad gave me a Lamborghini poster for Christmas one year. I loved it. That was on my wall until it somehow became damaged/torn. I also had a poster of someone wearing a Mickey Mouse costume standing in front of the Disney castle thing with a lot of balloons behind them. I think I found it at a neighbour’s yard sale. It had a metallic silver frame. Those are the only two I can think of at the moment.
What records have you been listening to while recording?
Since the record was recorded over the course of a few months, off and on, I can’t really remember all of what I was listening to but… probably; Paul Desmond – Summertime, Cindy Lee – Act Of Tenderness, Woo – It’s Cozy Inside, K. Leimer. We also listened to Jimi Hendrix.
If a film about Omni was to be made what song would be on the trailer?
Ah, oh… that’s a good question. Maybe Manic Mechanic by ZZ Top.
- Anyways animates the rich history of Soho and Spitalfields for Fora
- Christoph Niemann on the mammoth task of designing a mural with 20,000 tiles
- Cowboy-centric style and loaves of bread feature in Agnieszka Chabros' latest series
- “I've just always liked drawing people”: Haley Tippmann on her observational illustrations
- Miner magazine evokes a narrative around men in rabbit suits and internet celebrities
- José Castrellón documents the workers smuggling fuel from Venezuela into Colombia
- Working Not Working reveals the top companies creatives want to work at
- Mastercard reveals new nameless logo courtesy of Michael Bierut
- An egg beats Kylie Jenner to become the most liked Instagram photo... ever
- Sam Youkilis uses scale, form and colour to challenge the tropes of travel photography
- In praise of doing nothing: How to turn boredom into brilliant ideas
- WeWork gets a new name, and a slightly new look too