Atlanta’s finest trio, Omni, release their second album Multi-task today and in honour of its brilliance, lead singer Frankie Broyles has created this week’s Friday Mixtape.
Anyone who has been lucky enough to see Omni over the summer months knows their hypnotic fast-paced finger plucking guitar sound well from the songs off of their debut album, Deluxe from 2016. Just one year later, Multi-task, continues Omni post-punk sound and we’d argue is even better.
If you were a fan of last week’s mixtape by Trouble In Mind you’ll be pleased to hear that Multi-task is released via the Chicago-based label too.
Over to Frankie!
Why have you picked these songs for this playlist?
This playlist is just made up of stuff I’m currently listening to. Things that make me feel something.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
Anytime really. Maybe in a quiet, tranquil environment… with a sleeping dog. I guess I’m usually alone when listening to these songs. Either driving, staying up designing or working on some kind of project. Drinking tea.
Can you tell us a bit more about your new record?
Our new record is called Multi-task. There are 11 tracks. We recorded it with our good friend Nathaniel Higgins at his house in Atlanta and at my family’s farm house in Vienna, Georgia, during short breaks from touring. Shimby Mcreery helped out a lot with mixing. There were times I didn’t think we’d finish it in time due to touring commitments and scheduling issues but… we did… and for that I am grateful.
What posters did you have on your bedroom walls when you were younger?
My dad gave me a Lamborghini poster for Christmas one year. I loved it. That was on my wall until it somehow became damaged/torn. I also had a poster of someone wearing a Mickey Mouse costume standing in front of the Disney castle thing with a lot of balloons behind them. I think I found it at a neighbour’s yard sale. It had a metallic silver frame. Those are the only two I can think of at the moment.
What records have you been listening to while recording?
Since the record was recorded over the course of a few months, off and on, I can’t really remember all of what I was listening to but… probably; Paul Desmond – Summertime, Cindy Lee – Act Of Tenderness, Woo – It’s Cozy Inside, K. Leimer. We also listened to Jimi Hendrix.
If a film about Omni was to be made what song would be on the trailer?
Ah, oh… that’s a good question. Maybe Manic Mechanic by ZZ Top.
- From snowboarder to graphic designer, Kazuhiro Aihara constantly seeks artistry in design
- “Every design project can be somehow political”: Felipe Rocha on his multifaceted portfolio
- Jeffrey Cheung’s new book is a joyous celebration of QTPOC communities
- Shake, England, shake: Ian Howorth photographs a vision of Arcadia
- Uma Bista’s photographs address gender inequality in Nepalese communities
- Meet Tess Smith-Roberts, the illustration student who adds a "stupid little smiley" to every character
- “The future of design is in the creation of tools”: Meet the Space Type Generator
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Yushi Li on photographing men she met through Tinder
- Lacoste once again swaps its iconic crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- When Hollie Fernando forgot her age, she decided to take her first self-portraits
- Introducing Double Click – our new series rounding up the best of the digital design world