We’ve long been fans of the illustration, design and animation work of California-based artist Robbie Simon, but this time his talented hands are curating this week’s Friday Mixtape.
A contributing member of Reverberation Radio, who take it in turns making their own playlists each week, Robbie has made us a mix to listen to in the early hours of your night out ahead…
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
I do a music project with some friends called Reverberation Radio. A couple of us recently went to DJ some gigs in Bali so a lot of these tracks are ones I pulled to play out while out there. But, I made this mix with a different theme. This is a mixtape for the “Middle of the night and still at the studio” delirious dance parties. When you’ve been there since 9am, no end in sight, things are bound to get a little wiggy and you might as well enjoy it.
What artist do you listen to that you turn your Spotify to private for?
Shit. I didn’t know Spotify could be set to private so it might be too late to save my reputation.
What do you listen to while working?
When working I developed a cycle between music, political podcasts and basketball podcasts. Start with music, then switch to politics and news, get depressed, cheer up with basketball, and then back to music to stay happy and creative.
If a film was to be made about your life, what song would be on the trailer?
In a perfect world, the song on my movie trailer would be Street Talkin’ by Slick Rick, but more realistically any of Eno’s more pop songs would probably make more sense.
- Photographer Ronan Mckenzie on the details that go into curating your own exhibition
- Illustrator José Ja Ja Ja is “fascinated with the possibilities of the medium”
- Berlin-based design studio Arc on contrasting typefaces and demanding fair pay
- Regular Practice's Bookshelf helps inform its microscopic attention to type and print
- Viviana Troya presents egg-based optical illusions in new work Hatchery
- Maximilian Virgili on photographing the romance and randomness of Mexico
- Mastercard reveals new nameless logo courtesy of Michael Bierut
- An egg beats Kylie Jenner to become the most liked Instagram photo... ever
- Sam Youkilis uses scale, form and colour to challenge the tropes of travel photography
- WeWork gets a new name, and a slightly new look too
- Hiroki Nishiyama draws on traditional graphic design techniques in his illustration practice
- Working Not Working reveals the top companies creatives want to work at