We’ve long been fans of the illustration, design and animation work of California-based artist Robbie Simon, but this time his talented hands are curating this week’s Friday Mixtape.
A contributing member of Reverberation Radio, who take it in turns making their own playlists each week, Robbie has made us a mix to listen to in the early hours of your night out ahead…
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
I do a music project with some friends called Reverberation Radio. A couple of us recently went to DJ some gigs in Bali so a lot of these tracks are ones I pulled to play out while out there. But, I made this mix with a different theme. This is a mixtape for the “Middle of the night and still at the studio” delirious dance parties. When you’ve been there since 9am, no end in sight, things are bound to get a little wiggy and you might as well enjoy it.
What artist do you listen to that you turn your Spotify to private for?
Shit. I didn’t know Spotify could be set to private so it might be too late to save my reputation.
What do you listen to while working?
When working I developed a cycle between music, political podcasts and basketball podcasts. Start with music, then switch to politics and news, get depressed, cheer up with basketball, and then back to music to stay happy and creative.
If a film was to be made about your life, what song would be on the trailer?
In a perfect world, the song on my movie trailer would be Street Talkin’ by Slick Rick, but more realistically any of Eno’s more pop songs would probably make more sense.
- Experimental photography magazine Bill plays with the notion of the image as a material object
- Thomas Demand in conversation with It’s Nice That
- For Alice Monvaillier, animation is a "pretty magical process"
- My Body Feels Amazing: Elevator Teeth uses words and images to conduct a dialogue with the self
- City Edition Studio creates projects with a soft, collaborative and kind tone of voice
- Jack Smyth talks us through what makes a successful book jacket design
- “The future of design is in the creation of tools”: Meet the Space Type Generator
- Master one style or stay versatile? Illustrators discuss the pros and cons
- WeTransfer tell users to "Please Leave" in new short film
- Youngchae Lee illustrates what “alone time” feels like in large landscapes
- Yushi Li on photographing men she met through Tinder
- When Hollie Fernando forgot her age, she decided to take her first self-portraits