We’ve long been fans of the illustration, design and animation work of California-based artist Robbie Simon, but this time his talented hands are curating this week’s Friday Mixtape.
A contributing member of Reverberation Radio, who take it in turns making their own playlists each week, Robbie has made us a mix to listen to in the early hours of your night out ahead…
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
I do a music project with some friends called Reverberation Radio. A couple of us recently went to DJ some gigs in Bali so a lot of these tracks are ones I pulled to play out while out there. But, I made this mix with a different theme. This is a mixtape for the “Middle of the night and still at the studio” delirious dance parties. When you’ve been there since 9am, no end in sight, things are bound to get a little wiggy and you might as well enjoy it.
What artist do you listen to that you turn your Spotify to private for?
Shit. I didn’t know Spotify could be set to private so it might be too late to save my reputation.
What do you listen to while working?
When working I developed a cycle between music, political podcasts and basketball podcasts. Start with music, then switch to politics and news, get depressed, cheer up with basketball, and then back to music to stay happy and creative.
If a film was to be made about your life, what song would be on the trailer?
In a perfect world, the song on my movie trailer would be Street Talkin’ by Slick Rick, but more realistically any of Eno’s more pop songs would probably make more sense.
- Photographer Timothy Schaumburg takes us behind the scenes of plastic surgery prep
- The Line King: A profile of Al Hirschfeld, on the prolific characterist’s 115th birthday
- Ditto publish 100 Club Stories in celebration of the iconic London venue
- Adobe Stock identifies 'multilocalism' as the next trend to shape visual culture
- “I want my work to function like a good book": illustrator Charlotte Ager
- "Even if you cover a shit in glitter it’s still a shit": top creatives show us their CVs
- "Don't drink and dance in front of your peers": ten creatives on their biggest mistakes
- Tsto returns to design Flow Festival's identity, pushing and playing with its typography
- Beyoncé and Jay Z take over the Louvre for Apeshit music video
- All internships are not created equal: how to spot the best opportunities and have the courage to reject the duds
- How Alex Prager made the world stop and stare
- Neville Brody launches type foundry, Brody Fonts