We’ve long been fans of the illustration, design and animation work of California-based artist Robbie Simon, but this time his talented hands are curating this week’s Friday Mixtape.
A contributing member of Reverberation Radio, who take it in turns making their own playlists each week, Robbie has made us a mix to listen to in the early hours of your night out ahead…
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
I do a music project with some friends called Reverberation Radio. A couple of us recently went to DJ some gigs in Bali so a lot of these tracks are ones I pulled to play out while out there. But, I made this mix with a different theme. This is a mixtape for the “Middle of the night and still at the studio” delirious dance parties. When you’ve been there since 9am, no end in sight, things are bound to get a little wiggy and you might as well enjoy it.
What artist do you listen to that you turn your Spotify to private for?
Shit. I didn’t know Spotify could be set to private so it might be too late to save my reputation.
What do you listen to while working?
When working I developed a cycle between music, political podcasts and basketball podcasts. Start with music, then switch to politics and news, get depressed, cheer up with basketball, and then back to music to stay happy and creative.
If a film was to be made about your life, what song would be on the trailer?
In a perfect world, the song on my movie trailer would be Street Talkin’ by Slick Rick, but more realistically any of Eno’s more pop songs would probably make more sense.
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Meji Alabi on discovering his roots through film and music
- Stoic black cats and burning worlds: Quentin Dufour on his chaotic illustrations
- Jiří Makovec’s photographs meander between the personal and the universal
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories