This week’s Friday Mixtape is by London-based band, Shopping. Today the trio of Rachel, Billy and Andrew release their third record, The Official Body self-described as “100% bangers” and we definitely have to agree. Full of bands with new releases to discover if you’re still listening to the same records from last year, this mix is perfect if you’re looking for something new for 2018.
Why have you picked these songs, what do they remind you of or make you feel?
Yello! Ok, so we picked our F*R*I*E*N*D*S. Pals and people we recently played with that we love. They make us excited to be creating music today and eager for the future!
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
This should be enjoyed anywhere and anytime but we are really enjoying it in the tour van, would recommend.
What song or album did you listen to as teenagers? What kind of posters did you have on your bedroom walls?
Billy: I had posters of Bjork, Liam Gallagher, Blur, PJ Harvey, Hole and Athena man holding baby poster — and I was listening to Elastica. It’s an album full of hits and because out of all the indie music available to me at the time, it was what I identified with most, and I thought Justine, Donna and Annie were tres cool!
Andrew: I had lots of Buffy The Vampire Slayer posters…so many. I had that smiley face poster with a million “funny” versions of the classic one. I was listening to mostly RnB and soul music when I was a kid. I was a huge fan of Aaliyah and Timbaland/Missy Elliot, getting into rock music later. But I did really love No Doubt! My favourite album was probably Return of Saturn. I wanted to be Gwen Stefani.
Rachel: Hard to believe but I had a poster of Miles Davis and one of John Coltrane too because I was such an enormous nerd. Also old movie posters like Godzilla and Attack of the 50ft Woman. I was obsessed with Patti Smith’s Horses.
Can you tell us a little about your latest record?
Andrew: Our new album is called The Official Body and it’s out on 19th January – we worked with Edwyn Collins at his studios in the North of Scotland. It was an amazing experience and we feel really privileged to have him on board producing this record. I would say it’s a more concise statement from us – totally still Shopping. 100% bangers.
Billy: It’s the soundtrack to your summer and the soundtrack to your winter. It’s a bag for life.
If a feature film about Shopping was to be made, what song would be in the trailer?
One of our songs for the trailer? We would say Why Wait.
All of Shopping’s picks are available via Bandcamp, linked below:
French Vanilla – Evolution of a Friendship
Total Leatherette – Work Harder
Emotional – Heartbeats
Maraudeur – Scorpio
Priests – Suck
Kaputt – Carnage Hall
The Plan – Annotate The Text
Bas Jan – No sign
Gauche – Pay Day
Mia La Metta – White Ship
- Turkish photographer Olgaç Bozalp recreates a family photo album
- Angela Stempel animates the "harmless mind control" of a chant-heavy yoga class
- Cuny Janssen's soft and poignant series documents childhood in Amsterdam
- How embracing vulnerability can power innovation, creativity and change
- Osamu Yokonami photographically interprets spring with a group of anonymous swimmers
- Illustrator Holly Pilot draws inspiration from vintage children's books
- Meet graphic designer Jonathan Isaacson and his hybrid portfolio
- Photo of a single atom wins science photography prize
- Property developer fined $6.7 million for “whitewashing” New York graffiti haven, 5Pointz
- Candid, unseen images of David Bowie by Geoff MacCormack to be exhibited
- Google tackles image copyright infringement with latest design tweak
- Fill your AR world with collage, courtesy of app Dumb Fun