Thomas Pratt’s images of Cuba are ones we’ve kept coming back to time and time again. In November last year we caught up with Thomas after a recent trip to Santiago, photographing the musicians recording at a friend’s studio.
The result was a mix of story-telling portraits, hazy, dance and Guinness fuelled nights out and for this week’s Friday Mixtape, Thomas has curated us a soundtrack to these images.
Why have you picked these songs?
This is a collection of songs you may hear in a bar on one of the Outer Islands of The Bahamas.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
Ideally played in a Bahamian bar with a glass of Guinness and Buckfast (ratio 1:1), If that’s not possible it would be a good soundtrack to the royal wedding whilst tucking into a Victoria sponge.
Are there certain albums you listen to during the different parts of your creative process?
Usually, I will have one or two albums I listen to loads for a week played loud whilst cleaning dust off print scans. Currently Warren Zevon self-titled album and Roxy Music, Avalon are on heavy rotation.
What records did you listen to when you were a teenager?
N.W.A and Neil Young.
If a feature film about your life was to be made, what song would be on the trailer and why?
Freddie Gibbs’ Thuggin’ alongside slow-mo shots of me walking around Staines and Chertsey, then a drone shot zooming out to reveal the earth which starts spinning off its axis.
- Grace Miceli’s bold and playful illustrations re-interpret brands in humorous ways
- Tsto returns to design Flow Festival's identity, pushing and playing with its typography
- Rosie Yasukochi's vibrant comic reflects on post-generational trauma
- Patrick Kyle's helpful advice on how to start out at illustration fairs
- "Don't drink and dance in front of your peers": ten creatives on their biggest mistakes
- Rachel Louise Hodgson’s drawings challenge traditional ideals of beauty
- Crayola launches a makeup range based on its ubiquitous crayons
- Portfolio tips from top studios: what to leave in (and out) and how to get noticed
- The Graduates 2018: Should I get a job or go freelance?
- All internships are not created equal: how to spot the best opportunities and have the courage to reject the duds
- Erik Spiekermann brings five unfinished fonts from Bauhaus design masters to life with Adobe
- Why counter-culture matters: Rough Trade launches publishing venture designed by Craig Oldham