Thomas Pratt’s images of Cuba are ones we’ve kept coming back to time and time again. In November last year we caught up with Thomas after a recent trip to Santiago, photographing the musicians recording at a friend’s studio.
The result was a mix of story-telling portraits, hazy, dance and Guinness fuelled nights out and for this week’s Friday Mixtape, Thomas has curated us a soundtrack to these images.
Why have you picked these songs?
This is a collection of songs you may hear in a bar on one of the Outer Islands of The Bahamas.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
Ideally played in a Bahamian bar with a glass of Guinness and Buckfast (ratio 1:1), If that’s not possible it would be a good soundtrack to the royal wedding whilst tucking into a Victoria sponge.
Are there certain albums you listen to during the different parts of your creative process?
Usually, I will have one or two albums I listen to loads for a week played loud whilst cleaning dust off print scans. Currently Warren Zevon self-titled album and Roxy Music, Avalon are on heavy rotation.
What records did you listen to when you were a teenager?
N.W.A and Neil Young.
If a feature film about your life was to be made, what song would be on the trailer and why?
Freddie Gibbs’ Thuggin’ alongside slow-mo shots of me walking around Staines and Chertsey, then a drone shot zooming out to reveal the earth which starts spinning off its axis.
- Experimental photography magazine Bill plays with the notion of the image as a material object
- Thomas Demand in conversation with It’s Nice That
- For Alice Monvaillier, animation is a "pretty magical process"
- My Body Feels Amazing: Elevator Teeth uses words and images to conduct a dialogue with the self
- City Edition Studio creates projects with a soft, collaborative and kind tone of voice
- Jack Smyth talks us through what makes a successful book jacket design
- “The future of design is in the creation of tools”: Meet the Space Type Generator
- Master one style or stay versatile? Illustrators discuss the pros and cons
- WeTransfer tell users to "Please Leave" in new short film
- Youngchae Lee illustrates what “alone time” feels like in large landscapes
- Yushi Li on photographing men she met through Tinder
- When Hollie Fernando forgot her age, she decided to take her first self-portraits