It’s been seven long years since Geoff McFetridge had a show here in London but the wait is almost over as the LA-based super-talent is gearing up to unveil new work a week today.
Geoff’s work ranges from installation to graphic design but it is 10 new acrylic paintings which are going on show at Soho’s Ivory & Black gallery. In his trademark reductive way, Geoff has taken snapshots of the everyday – brief moments and apparently insignificant gestures – and imbued them with poetry and substance.
“The images are varied, while my treatment of them is very consistent,” he says. “The imagery is refined to a point of anonymous functionality. The paintings are meant to feel as if they were pulled directly from the lexicon.
“I paint some things because they are things that I have seen, but more importantly, I believe they are things that the viewer has seen. I am painting from life, but not life purely found in the landscape, but the also psychological, mediated, and transcendental world that infects our consciousness.”
Around Us and Between Us runs from September 14 until October 26.
- All we want for Christmas is... Best of the Web!
- A trip to The Greenbrier – a preserved 112,544 sq foot government nuclear bunker
- Dougal Wilson goes behind the scenes of the mischievous Channel 4 idents
- An international cast of creatives chooses the biggest moments of 2017
- Bake Off, legalising weed and Fanta's redesign: highlights from March 2017
- Vogue's new editor and a typeface for pride: a look back at April 2017
- Pantone Colour of the Year 2018 has been announced
- Pentagram partner Natasha Jen shares her most inspirational books
- Why dyslexia makes you a great designer
- Plain packaging and health warnings on food and drink could cost companies hundreds of billions
- Anxy Magazine: The Workaholism Issue explores the impact of working hard versus working compulsively
- Graphic designer John Morgan launches type foundry and art platform, Abyme