One of the most revered figures at Central Saint Martins, illustrator and head of womenswear Howard Tangye has inspired and influenced the cream of Britain’s impressive crop of fashion designers, counting John Galliano, Richard Nicoll, Hussein Chalayan, Christopher Kane and Stella McCartney among his former tutees. Now former students and design studio STSQ have decided it is high time the rest of the world caught a glimpse of the huge catalogue of portraits that Howard has created over the past 40 years.
Within, the book which they are proposing to publish, promises to be a worthy coffee table tome for any dedicated follower of fashion. Combining the rare beauty of Howard’s illustrations with the experience he shared with his sitters, he describes what drew him to each, and more unusually, has his subject speak up about their time with him as well. Donate to the project on Kickstarter and you’ll be well rewarded with an array of drawings, postcards and prints to stick up on your living room walls, so that you can follow suit and create your own Tangye studio (you know, if you like).
- R Kikuo Johnson on the importance of narrative in his illustrations
- Miguel Pang’s hand-drawn approach adds texture and depth to his illustrations
- Córdova Canillas commission photographers to create a spot the difference illusion for Tunica
- Pictoplasma New York showed how character design can spread joy and important messages
- Lalita Lupina animates the inner turmoil and anxiety felt at an indoor swimming pool
- Meet illustrator Inji Seo's cast of curvy characters
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner