A late contender for my favourite editor’s letter opening line of the year comes courtesy of the new issue of Human Being Journal, the magazine produced by US-based clothing and lifestyle store Need Supply Co.
It begins: “When the internet first smashed the world flat, we all jostled for position. With everyone at eye level, it seemed obvious that to be different was paramount. And so we curated the prettiest lives possible and pushed off into the arcane and obstinately unconventional.”
It’s a fitting opening for this fascinating little magazine; classy, intriguing and beautifully considered. New Editor-In-Chief Tag Christof has put together an issue which celebrates “humans who have made a mark through brilliant riffs on the regular” including Rafaël Rozendaal, Unit Editions, David Wilson and the teams behind both Apartamento and boat magazines. Chen Chen and Kai Williams have produced a series of improvised shanks (an aggressive homage to Martino Gamper’s 100 chairs in 100 days) and photographic talent on show includes Yann Faucher, Clement Pascal and Marcelo Gomes (whose portrait of Ana Kras adorns the cover).
It’s a real lesson in how to make a beautiful printed object without drifting into self-indulgence, and creative director Gabriel Ricioppo and designer Eric Gilkey deserve enormous credit for such assured use of different paper stocks to manage the rhythm of the magazine.
Now available in the UK, Human Being Journal is definitely a publication worth tracking down.
- Veronica Graham has turned her VR game about global warming into an artist’s book
- Jieun Lee paints Australian scenes where she fell in love with traveling
- The Shanghai Art Book Fair 2019 welcomed the creative industry’s big-wigs this weekend
- Introducing Double Click – our new series rounding up the best of the digital design world
- Rottingdean Bazaar creates a book for Paul Smith, starring people named Paul Smith
- Dylan Jones has made a book of drawings, and it’s weird
- “The future of design is in the creation of tools”: Meet the Space Type Generator
- Master one style or stay versatile? Illustrators discuss the pros and cons
- WeTransfer tell users to "Please Leave" in new short film
- Youngchae Lee illustrates what “alone time” feels like in large landscapes
- Yushi Li on photographing men she met through Tinder
- When Hollie Fernando forgot her age, she decided to take her first self-portraits