Based in Caracas, Venezuelan illustrator and animator Igor Bastidas has a penchant for the bold and the surreal. His odd ideas are presented through technicolour and strange characters but there’s a loveable charm to his work. Throughout his portfolio, Igor’s style shifts slightly between projects and often alternates between outlined forms and looser shapes. Yet the connecting thread is an undeniable sense of fun and playfulness.
He recently created a series of gifs to illustrate his favourite quotes by famous creatives for AIGA and these blocky, Crazy Bones-like characters breathe life into otherwise static quotes. In other works he uses gifs again to showcase snippets from his animations offering a new perspective as single, repeating motifs. Igor brings his amusing and intriguing moments with inviting colour palettes together in smooth, well-timed sequences. From an alphabet created out of everyday scenarios and people to a 30-second short for a travel agent, we can’t wait to see where his next project takes him.
- “All I could see was puppets”: Johnny Kelly on his series of sweet shorts for Cheerios
- Melek Zertal's illustrations all feature different versions of herself
- Wyatt Knowles on his DIY approach to poster design
- Jaemin Lee takes on the influence of 80s pop in his illustrative process and aesthetic
- A Pint in London: a new game where the quest is for the perfect tipple
- “There is no value in change for change’s sake”: an exclusive look at Spin's update of Mubi’s visual language
- Get ready for 230 new emojis to confuse your mum with
- Netflix rolls out brand new ident for all its original material
- David Rothenberg discusses his unique portraits of the passengers of planes
- Photographer Nick Turpin captures cars bathed in the lights of Piccadilly Circus
- Byun Young Geun likens illustration to “looking into a mirror”
- Naranjo-Etxeberria designs an identity aiming to cause impact at first glance