Based in Caracas, Venezuelan illustrator and animator Igor Bastidas has a penchant for the bold and the surreal. His odd ideas are presented through technicolour and strange characters but there’s a loveable charm to his work. Throughout his portfolio, Igor’s style shifts slightly between projects and often alternates between outlined forms and looser shapes. Yet the connecting thread is an undeniable sense of fun and playfulness.
He recently created a series of gifs to illustrate his favourite quotes by famous creatives for AIGA and these blocky, Crazy Bones-like characters breathe life into otherwise static quotes. In other works he uses gifs again to showcase snippets from his animations offering a new perspective as single, repeating motifs. Igor brings his amusing and intriguing moments with inviting colour palettes together in smooth, well-timed sequences. From an alphabet created out of everyday scenarios and people to a 30-second short for a travel agent, we can’t wait to see where his next project takes him.
- Blok rethinks the design of cannabis after its legalisation in Canada
- Peer behind the curtains of Christmas cinema with It's a Wonderful Lifetime
- “I’m a believer in form”: Geoff McFetridge on his new book of introspective drawings
- A rundown of our Nicer Tuesdays highlights of 2018
- Eight creatives from around the world tell us what made their city tick in 2018
- “Are we all avatars now?” asks digital painter Zak Keene
- DIA channels NYC and gives Squarespace its signature kinetic treatment in brand refresh
- Laughing at the world of graphic design with Tracy Ma
- Alex Gamsu Jenkins’ comics remind us of how gross we really are
- Pantone's Colour of the Year 2019 has been announced and it's... Living Coral!
- The animated short giving Isle of Dogs a run for its money
- Caleb Halter's instinctual design practice produces considered and refined work