Based in Caracas, Venezuelan illustrator and animator Igor Bastidas has a penchant for the bold and the surreal. His odd ideas are presented through technicolour and strange characters but there’s a loveable charm to his work. Throughout his portfolio, Igor’s style shifts slightly between projects and often alternates between outlined forms and looser shapes. Yet the connecting thread is an undeniable sense of fun and playfulness.
He recently created a series of gifs to illustrate his favourite quotes by famous creatives for AIGA and these blocky, Crazy Bones-like characters breathe life into otherwise static quotes. In other works he uses gifs again to showcase snippets from his animations offering a new perspective as single, repeating motifs. Igor brings his amusing and intriguing moments with inviting colour palettes together in smooth, well-timed sequences. From an alphabet created out of everyday scenarios and people to a 30-second short for a travel agent, we can’t wait to see where his next project takes him.
- Atelier Brenda reveals who Brenda actually is at June's Nicer Tuesdays
- Audun Alvestad creates tender paintings of the “ordinary Joe”
- Jordy Ringeling's designs reinterpret the obscure (and suggest we should stop breeding)
- “I’m a born again Cliff fan”: Photographer Robin Mellor on snapping avid Cliff Richard fans
- Emily Stein's latest series tells the story of Akemi and her 100 Kimonos
- Samuel Napper explores the psychologically strenuous period emergency workers face before a disaster
- “Unporn” is the photo stock collection for those suggestive, naughty moments
- KangHee Kim's images are as satisfying to create as they are to look at
- Photographer Jack Johnstone's dreamy images are so soft they're almost otherworldly
- Penguin unveils striking series of redesigned Jack Kerouac books
- Luke Insect designs a "BMX break up album about teenage love and endless summers"
- Sophy Hollington’s striking tarot deck combines mysticism with a glam-punk contemporary twist