In Shades magazine is a simple idea done satisfyingly well. Taking the time-tested pairing of short fiction and illustration into unfamiliar territory online, the magazine publishes a new short story weekly with accompanying original imagery. Eight weeks in, the homepage is now populated with a diverse style of artwork and narrative, each occupying a slice of the succinctly designed site.
The magazine was founded by husband and wife team Marina Esmeraldo and James Vincent, based between London and Barcelona. Marina is already an accomplished illustrator, with a body of work for clients including Nike, Lenny Letter, Perrier and Refinery29, and art directs the magazine, with James as editor. Marina’s illustrations and James’ writing can be spotted on a few of the early In Shades stories, amid other works by Pernan Goñi, uinverso, Marja de Sanctis and Elena Boils. The latest story, The Five Duels of Barbary Jones, written by David Sanger, is illustrated by Kyle Griggs. The duo are now accepting writing and illustration submissions for the magazine.
The site also feature side project Six Words, where micro stories of six words in length are depicted in various typographic styles — for example Tuesday Night Microwave Meal For One by Anna Vincent, illustrated by Teresa Marinho; and Deservedly Even Facebook Ignored Her Birthday by Elizabeth Harrison, illustrated by Yansy Soler.
- Cordova Canillas commission photographers to create a spot the difference illusion for Tunica
- Pictoplasma New York showed how character design can spread joy and important messages
- Lalita Lupina animates the inner turmoil and anxiety felt at an indoor swimming pool
- Meet illustrator Inji Seo's cast of curvy characters
- Riposte magazine meets graphic designer Sheila Levrant de Bretteville
- Nicolas Garner explores the clash of digital and organic in his hyperreal imagery
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner