In Shades magazine is a simple idea done satisfyingly well. Taking the time-tested pairing of short fiction and illustration into unfamiliar territory online, the magazine publishes a new short story weekly with accompanying original imagery. Eight weeks in, the homepage is now populated with a diverse style of artwork and narrative, each occupying a slice of the succinctly designed site.
The magazine was founded by husband and wife team Marina Esmeraldo and James Vincent, based between London and Barcelona. Marina is already an accomplished illustrator, with a body of work for clients including Nike, Lenny Letter, Perrier and Refinery29, and art directs the magazine, with James as editor. Marina’s illustrations and James’ writing can be spotted on a few of the early In Shades stories, amid other works by Pernan Goñi, uinverso, Marja de Sanctis and Elena Boils. The latest story, The Five Duels of Barbary Jones, written by David Sanger, is illustrated by Kyle Griggs. The duo are now accepting writing and illustration submissions for the magazine.
The site also feature side project Six Words, where micro stories of six words in length are depicted in various typographic styles — for example Tuesday Night Microwave Meal For One by Anna Vincent, illustrated by Teresa Marinho; and Deservedly Even Facebook Ignored Her Birthday by Elizabeth Harrison, illustrated by Yansy Soler.
- Ioanna Sakellaraki explores Greece’s last professional mourners and their rituals around death
- Catalog Press is questioning what a book can be (and maybe it's made of cheese)
- Floriane Rousselot's digital platform Typelab supports and champions the work of young designers
- Photographer Theo Cottle tries to “keep an element of truth” in everything he shoots
- “Stay simple and playful”: Arnaud Aubry talks to us about making his fun and charming work
- Théophile Bartz on his fantastically hypnotic illustrations
- Led By Donkeys is crowdfunding £50,000 for “honest” No Deal Brexit ad campaign
- Taschen’s recent release celebrates “the greatest cat photographer of the 20th Century”
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!
- Suzy Chan’s portfolio boasts original graphic design, animation, typography and so much more
- Stefanie Tam’s graphic design grounds conceptual thinking in compelling visuals
- The Advertising Standards Authority has banned its first ads for “harmful” gender stereotyping