For such a well-respected and wonderfully talented illustrator there’s a surprising lack of information about Jan Van Der Veken out there on the internet. His online presence is decidedly minimal, amounting to just a Tumblr, a short biography on Drawn and Quarterly and a few lines of a Wikipedia entry that offers “Van Der Veken developed his own artistic style…” by way of explaining Jan’s creative output. Not a lot to go on really. He doesn’t even have a proper email address.
What we can tell you about the Ghent-born illustrator is that he’s a practitioner of the Atomstyle, a 1950s adaptation of Hergé’s famous ligne clàire, specialises in book-cover and poster design and is so good at what he does that the New Yorker is always knocking on his door for cover illustrations. All of which should be enough to persuade you that this is one illustrator you really should know more about (even if we can’t provide you with that information right now).
Since writing this article Jan has been updating his website with an absolute torrent of new work so get on over there so see the magnificent fruits of his labours. Thanks Jan!
- Izabela Jurcewicz uses her camera to become both a surgeon and a patient
- XYZ Lab designs a removable and “grotesque” fifth issue for Rouge Fashion Book
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories