The work of Brussels-based designer Joris Kritis has been described by his collaborators as “radical in its simplicity”. His publication design for Architecture Without Content, a research group investigating the architectural strategies for banal buildings, conveyed the difference of each volume of the research through colour, weight and sequencing. The cover of each edition is confidently minimal, with typography that reflects the outline of a building taking centre stage alongside belly-bands that give context to the publication.
Another recent project was the exhibition design for Imagine Istanbul, an exhibition held at Bozar, Brussels showing documentary photography of life in Istanbul, as well as films, interviews and installations by the likes of Orhan Pamuk and Sophie Calle. Joris designed a deconstructed newspaper that spread through the galleries with 3D lettering emphasising certain points and elements. There was also a bold and clear newsprint hand-out for identifying the works in the exhibition.
In Set, Joris’ pre-emptive exhibition catalogue for artist and designer Na Kim’s show at New York’s Doosan Gallery, he utilised the graphic elements Na was intending to use in the exhibition for a sort of sample book that functioned as a literal reflection of the show rather than a retrospective document of the experience.
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice