Illustrator Josephin Ritschel has produced a suite of illustrations for a new book called Toujours la Meme Histoire by Jean Segue and Elodie Boyer. The book takes the same story and tells it in short, medium length and long versions for audiences of different ages. Set in the the French town of Le Havre, Josephin produced a set of illustrations that focus on the unique character of the place.
The images for the short version of the story, the children’s book, are full colour and character driven. For the medium length story, aimed at teenagers, the drawings are produced in duo tone, and for the long read, the illustrations are reproduced in black and white.
“Progressing through the three versions of the story, we understand why the hero behaves as he does,” says the publisher Editions Non Standard. “The text gets more and more complete and detailed while the illustrations get simpler and simpler – more zoomed in and abstract.” Josephin’s precise and detailed drawings evoke a sense of place and belonging, and as the book progresses the sophistication within her style and methods becomes ever more apparent.
- A real bobby-dazzler, it’s Best of the Web!
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum