Glancing your eye over new artwork it is almost second nature to categorise it into a mental folder – there’s a drawer for illustration, a drawer for painting, and a little drawer in the corner for really really weird stuff right? But what makes artist Koen Taselaar extraordinarily cool is try as you might you can’t possibly put one single label on his work. Creating drawings, illustrations, collages, sculpture AND beautiful typography, Koen Taselaar can only be described as a master of all things creative and if you thought quality would inevitably differ between medium you couldn’t be more wrong.
Rather impressively Koen is somehow amazing at all of the above and as a result his online portfolio is absolutely stunning. With each of his pieces intricately detailed, his raw talent, creativity and obvious passion for the art is undeniable.
Living between Berlin and Rotterdam and with titles for his work including Cigarette Butt Sluts, Binge Drawing and The Depressed Colourwheel, he seems a rather cool guy too. What’s not to love?
- Cleon Peterson's works continue to investigate the evil side of humanity
- Winsor & Newton lifts the lid on the secret tricks of every artist's trade
- Calypso Mahieu’s photography makes the simplest things sexy (some NSFW)
- Foster Huntington’s stop-motion short of an 80s Californian skate off
- Dax Norman’s weird and wobbly animations with “cigarettes and eyeballs a plenty”
- Photographer Evija Laivina explores the ridiculous reality of the beauty industry
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled