Lawrence Slater, London-based illustrator and brother of Thomas Slater who we’ve written a bunch about in the past, has a talented hand of his own to show off. Working in vibrant colours and with faux-naive figures, his illustration is unashamedly joyful, so it makes perfect sense that his recent series Hedonism riffs on the wildly rich lifestyle you might expect if you won the lottery or discovered a stash of pirate treasure. The series is all busty, bare-breasted babes, fast cars, pet lions and jet skis, and it’s an opulent mess.
Lawrence and Thomas have just set up a DIY printing press in their living room in south-east London, he tells us, so we’re expecting to see more from him soon! Watch this space.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled