Last year, after a batch of swirling singles released from 2014, Danish natives Lowly quietly released their first record, Heba, to an eager fuss and now devoted fanbase. The Bella Union signees met during a music project at school, the type of assignment we imagine to be the sort when you’re reluctantly flung together with distant classmates, only these five kept going.
Described as being able to make you dance and cry at the same time (great), and after hearing gushes about their live performances, this week Lowly take over the It’s Nice That stereo creating a mammoth mix of brilliant songs full of detail.
Why have you picked these songs: what do they remind you of or make you feel?
These songs have a delicious sound or extraordinary and inspiring details in their arrangements. Also, they make you feel good when it rains outside and you let your body move slowly and lazily around with no specific purpose. They make me feel a sense of longing and soothing calmness at the same time.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
You should listen to them when you have time to listen, or if you need something nice in your life.
What records have you been listening to recently?
Just discovered Lambchop’s record Flotus, which is an odd combination of Eric Clapton and something…well, more modern. Which gives you the sense of nostalgia but also wants you to make new music.
If a feature film of your life was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
Rihanna’s Needed Me.
- National Geographic’s creative director Emmet Smith on the publication’s redesign
- Leon Mark’s refined and infinitely stylish photography
- Sophie Harris-Taylor shares anecdotes and insights from her photo series, Sisters
- Designer Anatole Couteau's technical approach lets him communicate simply and precisely
- A peek inside Hicham Amrani's trippy new comic Svend & Xanax
- Friday Mixtape: The Orielles mix for "good times with good people"
- Pentagram rebrands Battersea dogs and cats home to visualise "personality over sentiment"
- Craig Oldham dishes out brutally honest advice to new graphic designers
- ManvsMachine create its most ambitious campaign for Air Max Day yet
- V&A announces shortlist for its Illustration Awards 2018
- Ten examples of rare letterings, from 19th-century alphabets to preliminary drawings of Futura
- Bad week for art world as Jeff Koons piece is smashed and imitation Happy Meal thrown away