Last year, after a batch of swirling singles released from 2014, Danish natives Lowly quietly released their first record, Heba, to an eager fuss and now devoted fanbase. The Bella Union signees met during a music project at school, the type of assignment we imagine to be the sort when you’re reluctantly flung together with distant classmates, only these five kept going.
Described as being able to make you dance and cry at the same time (great), and after hearing gushes about their live performances, this week Lowly take over the It’s Nice That stereo creating a mammoth mix of brilliant songs full of detail.
Why have you picked these songs: what do they remind you of or make you feel?
These songs have a delicious sound or extraordinary and inspiring details in their arrangements. Also, they make you feel good when it rains outside and you let your body move slowly and lazily around with no specific purpose. They make me feel a sense of longing and soothing calmness at the same time.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
You should listen to them when you have time to listen, or if you need something nice in your life.
What records have you been listening to recently?
Just discovered Lambchop’s record Flotus, which is an odd combination of Eric Clapton and something…well, more modern. Which gives you the sense of nostalgia but also wants you to make new music.
If a feature film of your life was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
Rihanna’s Needed Me.
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice