Good news! Mark Mulroney’s collage and painted comic abstractions (that featured in issue eight of our magazine) – as funny as the viewer is suggestively minded, or else just nicely composed works of the cartoon variety – are now on show at London’s Galleries Goldstein.
His intuitively-composed works are playful and honest, drawing from the years of pictorial education courtesy of Iron Maiden record covers, comics and naked ladies in magazines. It’s fun not “fine” and artists who can boast being able to evoke anything other than blinks from a viewer are rarer then you’d think.
Part of the joy of the work is Mark’s ability to give life to inanimate things: “Every object is a character. They might not have a specific name or personality but they do play a role in the story of the picture.” You can see this approach in his !!! series that animates such innocuous items as a string of sausages.
So if your favourite cartoon character is Ren from Ren and Stimpy and have a penchant for visual innuendos, there is literally no where else you should be.
Mark Mulroney’s Spring Time Pictures will be on show from May 3 to May 26.
- R Kikuo Johnson on the importance of narrative in his illustrations
- Miguel Pang’s hand-drawn approach adds texture and depth to his illustrations
- Córdova Canillas commission photographers to create a spot the difference illusion for Tunica
- Pictoplasma New York showed how character design can spread joy and important messages
- Lalita Lupina animates the inner turmoil and anxiety felt at an indoor swimming pool
- Meet illustrator Inji Seo's cast of curvy characters
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner