Mercedes-Benz has teamed up with director Ace Norton, choreographer Homer Hans Bryant and fashion designer Sandy Liang for Midnight in Stuttgart. Shot at the German city’s Mercedes-Benz Museum, the short opens with a security guard closing the showroom. After doing his rounds, the man returns to his office and falls asleep. A group of mannequins, wearing clothes by emerging (and very talented) New York designer Sandy Liang come alive as a dance troupe. They perform a Hiplet™ dance choreographed by the hip hop ballet movement’s inventor Homer Hans Bryant, founder of the Chicago Multinational Dance Centre School and former principle dancer at the first black classical ballet, Dance Theatre of Harlem.
The short was captured by prolific Grammy-nominated filmmaker and artist Ace Norton, who has to date created over 80 music videos, adverts and shorts for clients including Vans, Coca Cola and Adidas, Gap, and soundtracked by picsters.tv.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled