Mike is one half of artistic power duo Larry Sultan and Mike Mandel, a pair who from the 1970s through to the 1990s used the camera to create curious, innovative documentary-style series that doubled up as intriguing works of art. Many of their projects are some of the most selfless, fascinating research-based works ever made. The other day in the office we all found ourselves immersed in Mike’s Flickr page, upon which he has placed his specific series of photographs.
One contains his somewhat legendary baseball photographs, one is just shots of motels (which is spectacular), another is just entitled “70s” and is a collection of photographs taken in America the era I feel I was meant to be born in. There is something truly, truly magical about this specific series, People in Car Photos 1970 – pretty self-explanatory but so magical that I have revisited these photos five times since discovering them, just to check they’re still real. Before you start scrolling and getting excited, take a second to properly look at the image at the top of this page – a teenager is being driven along by his Dad, he sees someone trying to take his photo and gives them two fingers with what is, I think, the most nonchalant expression I’ve ever seen. So great.
- Have an ogle at Sein Koo’s marker pen illustrations of all things food-related
- Albert magazine's analytical yet colourful design proves how “knowledge can also have sex appeal”
- Typeface Ciao communicates auditive intonations of the spoken word
- Photography duo Luke & Nik talk us through the inspirations for their analogue manipulation
- Filmmaker and writer Pedro Neves Marques merges biopolitics with sexual politics
- Dinamo's Fabian Hard on exploring new technology with typography
- True's sixth issue thoughtfully showcases emerging and established photographers
- It’s cheese but not as you know it: ManvsMachine’s TV ads for Castello
- Jon Gray on designing book covers for Zadie Smith, Sally Rooney and other literary giants
- WeTransfer tell users to "Please Leave" in new short film
- Graphic Fest has all you need to know about visual identities for festivals and fairs
- Master one style or stay versatile? Illustrators discuss the pros and cons