Known for its confidently minimal work, Berlin-based studio Neubau has released a new typeface, NB Akademie designed by Stefan Gandl, which is comprised of 20 different styles from light to mono black-italic. “The typeface’s influences and naming go way back to legendary German type designer Ferdinand Theinhardt and his revolutionary typeset Royal Grotesk from 1880, which was designed for the publications of the Königlich-Preußischen Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Berlin (Prussian Academy of Sciences),” explains Neubau. “After selling his own type foundry, Theinhardt’s Royal Grotesk later became internationally known.”
Building on Neubau’s NB International Pro font, Akademie is its “conceptual successor,” and offers a more distinctive and refined style of type. To showcase the Akademie in all its sans serif glory the studio has created a series of posters, book covers and flags to display the face in its various weights. This application gives it context and texture, and serves as a reminder of Neubau’s slick sensibilities and attention to detail. The studio has also created a limited edition box set to celebrate the release, which is due to come out later this autumn. On top of the print license, a pencil, archive gloves, brochures, a flag, a ruler and even a board game is included in the pristine packaging.
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!