Known for its confidently minimal work, Berlin-based studio Neubau has released a new typeface, NB Akademie designed by Stefan Gandl, which is comprised of 20 different styles from light to mono black-italic. “The typeface’s influences and naming go way back to legendary German type designer Ferdinand Theinhardt and his revolutionary typeset Royal Grotesk from 1880, which was designed for the publications of the Königlich-Preußischen Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Berlin (Prussian Academy of Sciences),” explains Neubau. “After selling his own type foundry, Theinhardt’s Royal Grotesk later became internationally known.”
Building on Neubau’s NB International Pro font, Akademie is its “conceptual successor,” and offers a more distinctive and refined style of type. To showcase the Akademie in all its sans serif glory the studio has created a series of posters, book covers and flags to display the face in its various weights. This application gives it context and texture, and serves as a reminder of Neubau’s slick sensibilities and attention to detail. The studio has also created a limited edition box set to celebrate the release, which is due to come out later this autumn. On top of the print license, a pencil, archive gloves, brochures, a flag, a ruler and even a board game is included in the pristine packaging.
- Jawa El Khash's latest work resurrects lost artefacts in a virtual afterlife
- “In the end, design is about feelings”: Off Office on its thoughtful design ethos
- Testosterone and the trans gaze: Laurence Philomene on photographing non-binary joy
- Greg Ito’s meticulous portfolio of paintings explores “time, love, loss, hope, and tragedy”
- Books are more than visual reference for Charlotte Ager, they are studies in how to tell stories
- The latest issue of Der Greif takes a shockingly explicit look at censorship (NSFW)
- Led By Donkeys is crowdfunding £50,000 for “honest” No Deal Brexit ad campaign
- Taschen’s recent release celebrates “the greatest cat photographer of the 20th Century”
- The Advertising Standards Authority has banned its first ads for “harmful” gender stereotyping
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!
- Suzy Chan’s portfolio boasts original graphic design, animation, typography and so much more
- Stefanie Tam’s graphic design grounds conceptual thinking in compelling visuals