Animator I Saw John First looked to an eclectic bank of references for his music video for Mr Jukes. “I’m into obscurity, Japan, imaginary worlds, heads with feet, ghost stories and spirits,” he said, showing sketches, development animatics and excerpts from the final animation. Colourful, fantastical and hypnotic, the visuals for the track Angels/Your Love feat. BJ The Chicago Kid are also synced with the beat, meaning every detail of the frame-by-frame animation emulates the song.
“I wanted it to be joyous but genuine,” he says. As Mr Jukes’ output is worlds away from the musician Jack Steadman’s other work as frontman of Bombay Bicycle Club, this project became about defining the difference aesthetically. “The heart of the project was to get away from everything he was already connected to. It became an almost stylistic quest. I can promise you bizarre scenarios, creatures and over-saturated colours.”
Event Partner: Dropbox
Dropbox Paper is a collaborative workspace that eliminates distractions that get in the way of creativity. Because you can work with all types of content – from video, to sound to code – in Paper, you and your collaborators can easily edit and discuss all aspects of your project in one centralised place.
Event Partner: Adobe Stock
Keep your work fresh with Adobe Stock. No matter what project you’re working on, you can always find the perfect asset in the library of over 90 million high-quality images, graphics, videos, templates, and 3D assets plus our Premium and Editorial. Join them at Nicer Tuesdays to see what amazing things you can create with Adobe Stock. Click here to try Adobe Stock free for one month.
Supported by: Park Communications
As one of London’s most respected printers, Park Communications is known for its care, attention to detail and high quality, which is why we choose Park for Printed Pages.
Supported by: The Five Points Brewing Company
The Five Points Brewing Company is an independent brewery based in Hackney, London, brewing with a commitment to provenance, quality, consistency and the community since 2013.
- “What do we want for the future?”: Chloé Wary’s comics are all about female empowerment
- Illustrator Lasse Wandschneider on his abstract and experimental take on the world
- HelloMe celebrates its tenth birthday and reflects on the past decade of design
- Made you look! It's Nice That takes over Coal Drops Yard with Double Take
- Photographer Tommy Keith examines familial life, having been conceived via sperm donation
- “It’s like you’re a doctor in an emergency room. It’s high pressure”: Christoph Niemann on his creative career
- Hit Netflix show Abstract announces the six creatives starring in its second series
- Lego reveals first brand campaign in 30 years, Rebuild the World
- “I always thought Photoshop was a glorified MS paint”: James Lacey on his journey into design
- DixonBaxi launches a new club identity for AC Milan
- Wang Zhi-Hong on his shifting approach of “hiding information” in graphic design
- “We are adamant that our projects pass the test of time”: Principal on its designs for Yoko Ono and Pierre Dorion