French, London-based illustrator Marie Jacotey is known for her coloured pencil works depicting the familiar truths of relationships and intimate emotions. At Nicer Tuesdays, she delved more into her inspirations and obsessions. “Everything that people would prefer hidden – that’s what I’m trying to talk about,” she explained. “The cringyness of relationships is what interests me!”
Candid, funny and brilliantly analytical, Marie’s talk also covered her latest works, that see her experiment with dry pastels and incorporate poetry by Rachael Allen. “A lot of my previous work has been really talkative, using images and words. The pastels have allowed a more painterly approach to drawings.” The final series, exhibited at Hannah Barry Gallery, features flat works and a large textile hanging, made to appear “like I had torn up my sketchbook” with drawings and poetry combined across the large format piece.
Event Partner: Dropbox
Dropbox Paper is a collaborative workspace that eliminates distractions that get in the way of creativity. Because you can work with all types of content – from video, to sound to code – in Paper, you and your collaborators can easily edit and discuss all aspects of your project in one centralised place.
Event Partner: Adobe Stock
Keep your work fresh with Adobe Stock. No matter what project you’re working on, you can always find the perfect asset in the library of over 90 million high-quality images, graphics, videos, templates, and 3D assets plus our Premium and Editorial. Join them at Nicer Tuesdays to see what amazing things you can create with Adobe Stock. Click here to try Adobe Stock free for one month.
Supported by: Park Communications
As one of London’s most respected printers, Park Communications is known for its care, attention to detail and high quality, which is why we choose Park for Printed Pages.
Supported by: The Five Points Brewing Company
The Five Points Brewing Company is an independent brewery based in Hackney, London, brewing with a commitment to provenance, quality, consistency and the community since 2013.
- Illustrator Ben Kopp’s nostalgia-drenched personal work
- Iggy Ldn's poignant new film Silk reclaims the essence of the jazz era in the 21st century
- Ways of Seeing: Laurie Rowan fills FACT's architectural space with a troop of exploring characters
- Brian Blomerth illustrates a journey to "surf discovery" even though he's terrible at surfing
- Photographer Sam Gregg shoots the true face of Naples
- Prolific artist Miroco Machiko’s animal menagerie
- Netflix unveils Netflix Sans, a new custom typeface developed with Dalton Maag
- Lacoste swaps famous crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- A chat with the Orwellian mastermind in charge of the UK town known as Scarfolk
- Director of Taylor Swift's Delicate video accused of copying Spike Jonze’s Kenzo advert
- Dive into Mikey Joyce's portfolio with its “healthy balance of calculated and convoluted silliness"
- Original sets and puppets from Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs to be exhibited in London