French, London-based illustrator Marie Jacotey is known for her coloured pencil works depicting the familiar truths of relationships and intimate emotions. At Nicer Tuesdays, she delved more into her inspirations and obsessions. “Everything that people would prefer hidden – that’s what I’m trying to talk about,” she explained. “The cringyness of relationships is what interests me!”
Candid, funny and brilliantly analytical, Marie’s talk also covered her latest works, that see her experiment with dry pastels and incorporate poetry by Rachael Allen. “A lot of my previous work has been really talkative, using images and words. The pastels have allowed a more painterly approach to drawings.” The final series, exhibited at Hannah Barry Gallery, features flat works and a large textile hanging, made to appear “like I had torn up my sketchbook” with drawings and poetry combined across the large format piece.
Event Partner: Dropbox
Dropbox Paper is a collaborative workspace that eliminates distractions that get in the way of creativity. Because you can work with all types of content – from video, to sound to code – in Paper, you and your collaborators can easily edit and discuss all aspects of your project in one centralised place.
Event Partner: Adobe Stock
Keep your work fresh with Adobe Stock. No matter what project you’re working on, you can always find the perfect asset in the library of over 90 million high-quality images, graphics, videos, templates, and 3D assets plus our Premium and Editorial. Join them at Nicer Tuesdays to see what amazing things you can create with Adobe Stock. Click here to try Adobe Stock free for one month.
Supported by: Park Communications
As one of London’s most respected printers, Park Communications is known for its care, attention to detail and high quality, which is why we choose Park for Printed Pages.
Supported by: The Five Points Brewing Company
The Five Points Brewing Company is an independent brewery based in Hackney, London, brewing with a commitment to provenance, quality, consistency and the community since 2013.
- Haein Kim reimagines fleece as a symbol of maternal love in her latest animation
- How Netflix's Klaus is bringing hand drawn 2D animation back to the big screen this Christmas
- Sophie Williams shares intimate behind-the-scenes footage from Mura Masa's latest music videos
- Wide-eyed and scratchy-haired, read the twisted diaries of Irene Montemurro
- Lazy Susan, the mother of all inventions, comes to life in Terri Timely's short film
- “I’ve always felt like this is not my happy place”: Rankin on his relationship to fashion
- Pentagram rebrands Warner Bros. with a “sleek and clean” update to its shield logo
- Manchester Girls, the new series from Dean Davies, is a visual homage to the women of the north
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Viktor Hübner photographs American anxieties amongst a shifting political environment
- Jiří Makovec’s photographs meander between the personal and the universal
- Berlin Wall graffiti is made into a typeface to warn how "division is freedom's biggest threat"