Anna Gerber and Britt Iversen founded Visual Editions with the aim to be “a traditional book publisher making very untraditional books”. This notion is truly brought to life in its imprint, of sorts, Editions At Play – a collaborative project with Google Creative Lab that “brings magic and delight into digital books”.
“What if you could make a space where you could explore and play in the world of digital publishing,” they asked at the start of the collaboration. “A lot of it is just pdfs. Kindles aren’t magical. We want to make something unprintable, keepable, physical.” For this, they dissected what makes a book ‘a book’. “Books must have pages! If it has pages, it’s not a game or a film, it’s a book. It has a frame, a border.”
At Nicer Tuesdays, the duo revealed Editions At Play’s new release, Breathe, a ghost story that uses a phone’s geo-location technology to adapt the story to its reader’s surroundings. “Each reading experience is unique,” they explain, “…a very intimate bedtime story.”
Event Partner: Dropbox
Dropbox Paper is a collaborative workspace that eliminates distractions that get in the way of creativity. Because you can work with all types of content – from video, to sound to code – in Paper, you and your collaborators can easily edit and discuss all aspects of your project in one centralised place.
Event Partner: Adobe Stock
Keep your work fresh with Adobe Stock. No matter what project you’re working on, you can always find the perfect asset in the library of over 90 million high-quality images, graphics, videos, templates, and 3D assets plus our Premium and Editorial. Join them at Nicer Tuesdays to see what amazing things you can create with Adobe Stock. Click here to try Adobe Stock free for one month.
Supported by: Park Communications
As one of London’s most respected printers, Park Communications is known for its care, attention to detail and high quality, which is why we choose Park for Printed Pages.
Supported by: The Five Points Brewing Company
The Five Points Brewing Company is an independent brewery based in Hackney, London, brewing with a commitment to provenance, quality, consistency and the community since 2013.
- Extinction Rebellion on the creative industries: “What is the cultural sector even for?”
- “I’ve landed on my planet now”: Sebaldo on refining his bonkers animated characters
- Syncope by Virgile Flores explores the duality between graphic design and music
- Louise Daneels makes playful, ceramic illustrations of everyday objects
- Maroesjka Lavigne’s debut monograph captures unforgettable landscapes and their inhabitants
- Painter Igor Moritz's vivid paintings express the colours of inner life
- Turning her lens to those around her, Danna Singer reveals the story of a working class community
- Kyle Berger’s Photoshopped images exist in “a post-truth timeline”
- The climate crisis is daunting, but as a creative professional, there’s much you can do
- Elizabeth Hibbard’s unsettling photographs examine subjective experience with a visceral gaze
- “My creativity is sparked by music and architecture”: meet graphic designer Stephanie Specht
- Adventure Time’s finale nominated for Emmy, alongside BoJack and Big Mouth