Anna Gerber and Britt Iversen founded Visual Editions with the aim to be “a traditional book publisher making very untraditional books”. This notion is truly brought to life in its imprint, of sorts, Editions At Play – a collaborative project with Google Creative Lab that “brings magic and delight into digital books”.
“What if you could make a space where you could explore and play in the world of digital publishing,” they asked at the start of the collaboration. “A lot of it is just pdfs. Kindles aren’t magical. We want to make something unprintable, keepable, physical.” For this, they dissected what makes a book ‘a book’. “Books must have pages! If it has pages, it’s not a game or a film, it’s a book. It has a frame, a border.”
At Nicer Tuesdays, the duo revealed Editions At Play’s new release, Breathe, a ghost story that uses a phone’s geo-location technology to adapt the story to its reader’s surroundings. “Each reading experience is unique,” they explain, “…a very intimate bedtime story.”
Event Partner: Dropbox
Dropbox Paper is a collaborative workspace that eliminates distractions that get in the way of creativity. Because you can work with all types of content – from video, to sound to code – in Paper, you and your collaborators can easily edit and discuss all aspects of your project in one centralised place.
Event Partner: Adobe Stock
Keep your work fresh with Adobe Stock. No matter what project you’re working on, you can always find the perfect asset in the library of over 90 million high-quality images, graphics, videos, templates, and 3D assets plus our Premium and Editorial. Join them at Nicer Tuesdays to see what amazing things you can create with Adobe Stock. Click here to try Adobe Stock free for one month.
Supported by: Park Communications
As one of London’s most respected printers, Park Communications is known for its care, attention to detail and high quality, which is why we choose Park for Printed Pages.
Supported by: The Five Points Brewing Company
The Five Points Brewing Company is an independent brewery based in Hackney, London, brewing with a commitment to provenance, quality, consistency and the community since 2013.
- Palestine Underground shines a light on the West Bank’s underground music scene
- “How does an identity express itself in 3D?”: Common Name on design for environments
- Courtney Barnett discusses her love for illustrators, animators and her own creativity too
- Studio Dumbar on how it encourages its team to find their voices as designers
- Sophie Green's latest project ventures into Kent's unlikely cowboy country
- Chow and Lin documents the world’s inequality of wealth using Google Earth
- This is an article about Wieden+Kennedy’s clever ad campaign - No B.S
- The Saul Bass Archive looks back on the trailblazer’s rare poster design
- XXL Studio is an iconic Chinese graphic design studio producing exceptional book design
- Superimpose creates "hyper-local" campaign for Adidas Original and TFL collaboration
- Iceland’s Christmas advert banned from broadcast for being too political
- Studio Weave redesigns the colour scheme and signage of housing associations in Hackney