Anna Gerber and Britt Iversen founded Visual Editions with the aim to be “a traditional book publisher making very untraditional books”. This notion is truly brought to life in its imprint, of sorts, Editions At Play – a collaborative project with Google Creative Lab that “brings magic and delight into digital books”.
“What if you could make a space where you could explore and play in the world of digital publishing,” they asked at the start of the collaboration. “A lot of it is just pdfs. Kindles aren’t magical. We want to make something unprintable, keepable, physical.” For this, they dissected what makes a book ‘a book’. “Books must have pages! If it has pages, it’s not a game or a film, it’s a book. It has a frame, a border.”
At Nicer Tuesdays, the duo revealed Editions At Play’s new release, Breathe, a ghost story that uses a phone’s geo-location technology to adapt the story to its reader’s surroundings. “Each reading experience is unique,” they explain, “…a very intimate bedtime story.”
Event Partner: Dropbox
Dropbox Paper is a collaborative workspace that eliminates distractions that get in the way of creativity. Because you can work with all types of content – from video, to sound to code – in Paper, you and your collaborators can easily edit and discuss all aspects of your project in one centralised place.
Event Partner: Adobe Stock
Keep your work fresh with Adobe Stock. No matter what project you’re working on, you can always find the perfect asset in the library of over 90 million high-quality images, graphics, videos, templates, and 3D assets plus our Premium and Editorial. Join them at Nicer Tuesdays to see what amazing things you can create with Adobe Stock. Click here to try Adobe Stock free for one month.
Supported by: Park Communications
As one of London’s most respected printers, Park Communications is known for its care, attention to detail and high quality, which is why we choose Park for Printed Pages.
Supported by: The Five Points Brewing Company
The Five Points Brewing Company is an independent brewery based in Hackney, London, brewing with a commitment to provenance, quality, consistency and the community since 2013.
- Protests, cute culture and the UK’s fruit market: Suzy Chan on her innovative design practice
- Multi-disciplinary artist Samuel Burgess Johnson on his work for The 1975
- Amanda Baldwin translates everyday objects into fine art reflections of society
- Animator and illustrator Anna Katalin Lovrity works with “brave and rough shapes”
- Charles-Henry Bédué photographs the intimacy and mystery of family homes
- Erik Brandt releases his final Ficciones Typografika as a book documenting the project’s entirety
- Photographer Ryan Duffin embraces the quirks of his subjects and the outtakes of life
- Q is the world’s first genderless voice hoping to eradicate gender bias in technology
- How and when do you shut down your studio? Carly Ayres on the decision to close HAWRAF
- Alexis Jamet's animations are warm, nostalgic and beautiful in their simplicity
- KFC's latest ad reminds you it's not AFC, BFC, or even CFC