Animator Steve Warne has an impressive list of credits to his name, having worked on Isle of Dogs, Kubo and the Two Strings, My Life as a Courgette, and Frankenweenie. However it’s his own film, Pombo Loves You which Steve spoke about at Nicer Tuesdays – an incredible feat of stop-motion animation that uses a live-action approach to create its cinematic feel.
The film was made during his time at the National Film and Television School, with a small team that used a range of clever techniques to create its unique style. For example, the “real” world is intentionally muted in colour whereas “Pombo’s” world is crazy and retro, thanks to the use of UV. “When [the character’s] home gets invaded by Pombo, UV was a useful technique we could add and control,” Steve explained, showing behind the scenes of the paper and card set.
Another technique he applied was rear projection for a car chase scene, “which is hard to make in stop-motion,” Steve commented. To give a sense of reality, Steve filmed real-life country roads and projected them, frame by frame, behind the models. “It’s a mixture of two mediums together.”
- Review of the Year 2018: Back to Back with Astrid Stravo and Jody Hudson-Powell
- Adam Higton and Atelier Bingo collaborate to illustratively visualise the 12 months of the year
- Data journalist Mona Chalabi reviews her 2018 in statistics
- Kim Gehrig's latest advert is an eclectic, inclusive ode to the vulva
- Emulsion is a new magazine offering a holistic view of culture
- What one word best sums up your year? Take part in our Review of the Year Instagram brief
- Blok rethinks the design of cannabis after its legalisation in Canada
- We ask Duncan Cowles to create the ultimate Christmas ad, using only Adobe Stock and some expert advice
- Christmas decorations cause OCD sufferers distress in New York
- Don’t Hug Me I’m Scared to debut at Sundance Film Festival
- Design studio Julia on a decade of turning complex ideas into graphic symbols
- Multi-faceted designers Studio Bergini hops between projects with a cool, clean elegance