At our March event we are excited to welcome a renowned creative director, a respected animator, a rising star of portrait photography and a hilarious panel comic illustrator. Buy tickets now for 27 March to hear from Veronica Ditting, Steve Warne, Sophie Harris-Taylor and Alex Norris at Oval Space.
We are thrilled to be welcoming creative director Veronica Ditting to the Nicer Tuesdays podium, speaking about her landmark work in the publishing industry. Among her many accomplishments, Veronica is best known for her design of The Gentlewoman, as well as art directing Fantastic Man and Cos Magazine, but her London-based design studio has also collaborated with brands including Hermes, Selfridges, White Cube, the Stedelijk Museum and Tiffany & Co. Veronica will be sharing insights to her latest projects.
Animator Steve Warne has an impressive list of credits to his name, having worked on Isle of Dogs, Kubo and the Two Strings, My Life as a Courgette, and Frankenweenie. However it is his own film, Pombo Loves You, that he’ll be speaking about at Nicer Tuesdays. Telling the story of a father forced to confront his dark past life as an 80s TV mascot, the film is an incredible feat of stop motion animation that uses a live action approach to create its cinematic feel.
In her portraiture, photographer Sophie Harris-Taylor has a knack for capturing personality and dynamics in a beautifully natural way. This is exemplified in her series Sisters, which saw her shooting pairs and groups of sisters over two years, and in turn depicting their unique and intimate relationships in a tranquil, honest set of images. Sophie will be telling us about her creative approach to the project, and the people she met along the way.
If you’ve not seen Alex Norris’ hilariously relatable panel comics then where have you been? Readers of It’s Nice That will recognise the “badly drawn blob” of his series Webcomic Names for his punchline “oh no”, and the inevitably disappointing situations it gets itself into. Alex will be joining us to speak about his naive and colourful illustration style and how it reinforces the impact of his character’s humour.
- Blok rethinks the design of cannabis after its legalisation in Canada
- Peer behind the curtains of Christmas cinema with It's a Wonderful Lifetime
- “I’m a believer in form”: Geoff McFetridge on his new book of introspective drawings
- A rundown of our Nicer Tuesdays highlights of 2018
- Eight creatives from around the world tell us what made their city tick in 2018
- “Are we all avatars now?” asks digital painter Zak Keene
- DIA channels NYC and gives Squarespace its signature kinetic treatment in brand refresh
- Laughing at the world of graphic design with Tracy Ma
- Alex Gamsu Jenkins’ comics remind us of how gross we really are
- Pantone's Colour of the Year 2019 has been announced and it's... Living Coral!
- The animated short giving Isle of Dogs a run for its money
- Caleb Halter's instinctual design practice produces considered and refined work