David Lane is an art director known for multiple magazine titles such as Freize and The Gourmand which he co-founded. But other than these publications taking up David’s time, his studio Lane & Associates also looks after the art direction (which even he admits “is a broad term”) for advertising campaigns from high fashion brands to musicians too. David Lane is very busy.
The wider remit of David’s work is exactly what he came to discuss at October’s Nicer Tuesdays, in particular his work with Swedish singer Robyn’s first record in eight years. An album full of “emotional energy and life experience” it was David’s task to work with her, and a wide sprawling team, to translate this energy into imagery.
Up to the team “to discover what worked and what didn’t” David has art directed each of the photography and graphic design elements across singles and press images for Robyn’s new record titled Honey. The imagery, shot by photographers such as Mark Peckmezian, took care of the emotive and sensual side of the record, while the typographic elements needed to convey it was a dance record. By combining the two David’s process, which he delves in deeper too during his Nicer Tuesdays talk above, is the ideal visual representation to celebrate a new album by Robyn.
- This year’s Birmingham Design Festival explored truth in the design industry
- Designer John Christian Rose on how he turns mess, chaos and clutter into art
- “My creative process is hella eclectic”: illustrator Jack Fletcher
- Jee-ook Choi turns Uniqlo’s AIRism range into a series of ethereal illustrations
- “Nothing should stand still”: Elaine Song on her dynamic, abstract illustrations
- Meet Ian Weldon, the “photographer that photographs weddings”
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Spotify wants you to listen to more podcasts, so it's redesigned its app
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Illustrator Faye Moorhouse has made a trilogy of zines about her cat
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!