It is obvious by the amount of times we write about Patrick Kyle that we have a major crush on his illustration style. Over the past few years Patrick’s aesthetic has shifted slightly, reducing his full colour digital works to more pared-back illustrations. Yet, the illustrator’s fluid line work means you always recognise a drawing by him.
This is definitely the case for Night Door a new comic by Patrick released via illustration masters of publishing Kus!. A 24-page comic, from which he has kindly shared a sneak peak with us; “the artwork for Night Door came together rather quickly — but I wanted it to be a comic that the audience can spend time with,” he tells It’s Nice That. The simplistic illustrations, full of layers that depict an intriguing narrative from page to page, creates a comic to dive into.
“More often than not my comics are cryptic and dream-like,” continues Patrick. “I’ve intensified that in Night Door by subtracting any written narrative or dialogue. I want the audience to become more active in the reading experience by forcing them to decipher the information on each page.” The result is a publication that is open to interpretation, encouraging you to interpret the fate of his warped smiling wormy figures.
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!