We’ve long championed Melbourne-based photography publication This is the Same Ocean – and with good reason. Curated, edited and published by Samuel J Davidson and designed since issue five by Dutch graphic designer Marijn Degenaar, This Is The Same Ocean is now in its sixth issue and looking even better than ever.
This time round, This is The Same Ocean features a softly shot monochrome portrait as its cover from Foam Talent Heikki Kaski. Filling the inside pages are dreamy, laid-back images that have us lusting after summer from photographers Tine Bek, Shannon May Powell, Lola Paprocka and Victoria Zschommler, Kaski, plus an appearance from editor Samuel J Davison (because if you can’t star in your own magazine, well, what’s the point?). Working with print studio Dawn Press, Samuel tells us: “This Is The Same Ocean’s production methods continue to evolve, with issue six featuring a combination of three and four-colour Risograph prints”.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled