I don’t work in advertising but if I did, I’d be the guy shouting outlandishly unrealistic ideas during creative meetings much to the chagrin of my colleagues. I like to imagine that’s how the new Saatchi & Saatchi spots for the 4G mobile network EE came about – that from the idea of connectivity came a reference to popular dinner party/drinking game Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, and from there someone shouted insolently: “Why don’t we get Kevin Bacon to play his own game?”
And yet they had the good sense to pursue this and sure enough here we are treated to “Hollywood A-lister Kevin Bacon” (his words not mine) explaining how he’s connected to everyone in the universe. Kudos to the creative team for the specific British cultural references which sound fabulously incongruous from KB’s mouth (think Frank Carson and Hollyoaks) and there’s a pleasing smattering of bacon puns too.
A charmingly silly idea, scripted brilliantly, and man does it turn out we love Kevin Bacon.
- Izabela Jurcewicz uses her camera to become both a surgeon and a patient
- XYZ Lab designs a removable and “grotesque” fifth issue for Rouge Fashion Book
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories