I don’t work in advertising but if I did, I’d be the guy shouting outlandishly unrealistic ideas during creative meetings much to the chagrin of my colleagues. I like to imagine that’s how the new Saatchi & Saatchi spots for the 4G mobile network EE came about – that from the idea of connectivity came a reference to popular dinner party/drinking game Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, and from there someone shouted insolently: “Why don’t we get Kevin Bacon to play his own game?”
And yet they had the good sense to pursue this and sure enough here we are treated to “Hollywood A-lister Kevin Bacon” (his words not mine) explaining how he’s connected to everyone in the universe. Kudos to the creative team for the specific British cultural references which sound fabulously incongruous from KB’s mouth (think Frank Carson and Hollyoaks) and there’s a pleasing smattering of bacon puns too.
A charmingly silly idea, scripted brilliantly, and man does it turn out we love Kevin Bacon.
- Harley Weir and Jamie Reid explore the functions of the female body for Baron
- Haw-lin Services and Tim Schmitt on their sci-fi identity for Berlin Biennale
- Winning proposals for regeneration of Old Street Roundabout announced
- Designer Paw Poulsen turns celebrities such as Bill Gates and Elton John into typefaces
- Friday Mixtape: a genre-spanning mix from creative agency Mogollon
- Non-Verbal Club's typography-heavy, sleek identity for Teatro Nacional de São Carlos
- Netflix unveils Netflix Sans, a new custom typeface developed with Dalton Maag
- Lacoste swaps famous crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- A chat with the Orwellian mastermind in charge of the UK town known as Scarfolk
- Will Anderson’s Bafta-nominated animation Have Heart follows a gif stuck in an infinite loop
- Original sets and puppets from Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs to be exhibited in London
- Dive into Mikey Joyce's portfolio with its “healthy balance of calculated and convoluted silliness"